Mommy, pulled tree with truck!!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 48long3804, May 26, 2009.

1. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

After hibernating for two years in the decrepid old barn, it was time to wake up big Ted and put him to work. The occaision to celebrate his waking was a large branch of an old elm tree that finally rotted away and fell. It was over a foot in diameter at the base that was still partially attached to the tree. With a fresh charge to the battery, some new gas in the tank and a thorough scrub to the doo-doo on the windshield, we were ready to tackle the tree...well the branch anyway!

Backed up and chained onto it, after four or five mighty tugs from the beefy one ton the old branch finally let loose and followed behind to the north part of the acreage, with my two and three year olds in the cab cheering all the way (I had to hold on to them so they didn't smack the dash with their little faces!).

We parked Ted and my little three year old ran into the house exclaiming to his mother "MOMMY, MOMMY, DADDY PULLED A TREE WITH THE TRUCK!" It was his first ride in the truck, and one that I hope he never forgets!

Now that it's out in the open I can change all the fluids and prep it for some serious road time. What a great feeling to have a tuff truck again!

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Nothing like granny gear for pulling down trees or plowing.

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Don't forget harvest time! I remember my granddad tying a piece of rope to the steering wheel to keep it running straight and telling us to get all of them sweet potatoes in the bed, not in the field. "The quicker you get 'em all in the bed, the quicker we get to go home and get some of your grandma's blackberry cobbler!" That was all the incentive I needed! Life was good back then!:)

4. Zig

Zig Member

I'm sure they'll remember!

Great story! I love the attached photos, too! Looks as though there are a few holes in the roof of that barn?:rolleyes:
    Nice "spotlight" effect!

5. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

I kinda wish we didn't have to tear that old "dutch" barn down.:( We cut the power to it last summer, so the only light it gets is through all the holes in the roof.:cool:

I heard a story about this old truck that it used to get a field cultivator tied to it. Part truck/part tractor. Long live Chevy power!:D

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You're A _GOOD_ Daddy !

And no , they'll never forget that first ride .

Thank you for teaching them the inherent beauty of work , this will pay BIG divedends in years to come.....