original 235 over heating

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Texas55, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Texas55

Texas55 Member

My 55 1st series 235 has a problem over heating i have replaced the thermostat still no change, also ran the motor without the thermostat and still started over heating the water pump was also recently replaced so i think it may be something to do with the radiator but not sure?

2. coilover

coilover Member

There are several things that can cause over heating but since a 235 wasn't a problem engine I strongly suspect the radiator. The original radiators can't be rodded out because of their semi honeycomb design but an old time radiator shop can boil them, flush them several times between cooking, and finally flow test them. I was lied to by a shop recently so before you take yours to a shop set a garden hose on a medium flow rate and see how long it takes to fill the tank to overflowing. If it never overflows but runs right through then it's probably okay. If the radiator isn't the problem check the fan blade, hoses, belt, timing, valvelash, and even loosen the exhaust pipe from the manifold to check for a restriction. Also check to see if the heat riser is free or at least in a non closed position since this will cause heat to build in a hurry if stuck closed. Only 15% of an engines heat is removed through the radiator, 80% goes out the exhaust and 5% is radiated directly into the air from hot surfaces.

3. Texas55

Texas55 Member

Im seventeen and still learning and so is my dad :) what is a valvelash and is the heat riser on top of the valve cover? i flushed the radiator and ran the hose and it went straight through.

4. gary1of2

gary1of2 Member

The heat riser is located where the exhaust pipe attaches to the engine. Its just above the two bolts in the exhaust manifold. Valve lash is the gap between the valve and the rocker arm.

5. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Overheating couses?

It is `nt unlikely that the couses for overheating might be what is allready mentioned by coilover. What i can come up with is that you could try to clean the engine block water channels with citrusaccid/bicarbinat wich is cheap and easy to do. I prisume you can buy the powder at your local drugstore. This wont harm anything in your engine or elsewhere and gives a fairly good effect when running your engine on temp. at first. Then let the brew stay over night and repeat until the engine water is clean. To keep it hot you could buy an litle water boiling heating element wich normally has the size of coffee cup and is formed as an spiral. I am not shore about the mix dose water/citrusaccid but maybe Nate can tell you that?

Good luck Martinius.

6. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

You might want to check your fan blade and make sure it's not on backwards. You want it to pull air through the radiator not push.....Big Tim :cool:

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

When your engine gets hot, where does the water go?
    On the ground? , Out a freeze plug? , inside the cab?, down the side of the water pump?.
    Have you checked to see if you have milky oil?
    Do you have steam flowing out of the tail pipe/s?
    Have you opened the drain for the radiator and seen it that water flows out it and what color the water is?
    When it gets hot have you checked the hoses to see if there is water or steam coming out from a pin hole or little crack in them?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010