Fun Weekend of Driving

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Wolf, May 17, 2010.

1. Wolf

Wolf Member

Just wanted to share my wife and my fun weekend of driving the old truck around. Drove around for the better part of 2 hrs. Stopped by the local Sonic, where there were about 100 high schoolers. Got nothing but smiles, thumbs up, and nice truck shout outs. Even got a "sexy" comment from the girls. My wife and I just laughed!!:eek: There were also about 50 or so middle school girls that just got back from a softball game and they were really excited to see the truck. It was a blast!

Then drove to an outdoor shopping/park area. They were playing the movie Back to the Future! They actually had 2 nice looking Delorians parked there too. So we sat there and watched the movie for half an hour or so. It was so much fun.

On the way home a guy rolled down his window at a stoplight and asked what year it was. and i told him 52, and he smiled and said "ha", as he turned to the driver, "I was close I said 51"

Just a fun time. Anyways I will post some pics up soon if it ever stops raining here. I will get some good ones of the front for you jealous Chevy drivers. and heck maybe some of that huge long long motor. if i can fit the whole long motor in one shot...:rolleyes:

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

It is great that you are out and driving your truck, it just gets to be more fun each time, Thanks for sharing.

3. Wolf

Wolf Member

Thanks Charles! It was a great night. My wife and I love going out in the truck, you are so right it does get more fun all the time. I will get some pics up soon;)

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

A Fun Time For All !

That's nice .

I know that l o n g motor will be hard to fit in the frame but use Photoshop and show it off a bit :D .

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  5. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

fun fun fun

I know what you mean about fun driving.
    I almost blew my 216 up on the 210 freeway here in so cal
    i think i need a overdrive 3 speed or i will have to break down and put in a 4 on the floor.
    anybody have a 3 speed with overdrive?
    Hey Nate is a 4 speed on the floor transmission better than a 3 on the tree with overdrive??
    I'am even thinking maybe a v8 but i love the six in a row much better.
    Robert

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

Robert,
    Did you change out the rear end yet to that newer one? That should have put you into th3e highway speeds unless it came out of a load hauler above 410/1.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

stock 3 speed and 4 speed are both 1:1 ratio in high gear.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Highway Speeds

The easiest way to achive this is by using the correct diameter tires , at least on the back end .

A little bit larger diameter makes a big difference although folks who don't understand this (or are in love with low profile tires) will argue what they do not understand .

Also , Patric's 3.55 final drive works out well .

A V-8 won't help it cruise any faster , just get up to speed quicker .

Top gear in three or four speed tranny is direct drive .

Keep that 6 Banger ! .

Sorry for the late reply .

9. Wolf

Wolf Member

I would love to do this. but with the 3/4 ton i believe Zig has the best solution, swapping a rear end from a canyon or colorado. I would love to do this someday, just to be able to go a bit faster. But im just unsure I love the way it drives it drives like an old truck for sure. Thought about doing the entire suspension and drive train if the motor and tranny every go out, but then I think that the truck will drive nicer and better, but it won't drive like it did originally, I don't know Im torn, but for right now, i love driving it

10. ccharr

ccharr Member

If you like doing fifty and seeing everyone wave as they drive by then keep what is there. If you want to enjoy people waving when you are doing 65 as they drive by then the gears lower than 410/1 will do you good. If you have a 514/1 as I had 45 was screaming so the 342/1 is just great and I would not change it for no one. I would really like a four speed with overdrive in it for a little extra mileage.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

3/4 T Highway Speed

You're correct . find a 1967 ~ '7X (sorry I forget the year) G series van with an automatic and yank the pumpkin out of it and slap it into your truck , it'll have 3.72 ratio gears and so will now zip along @ 65 MPH right until you hit the hills , then your engine's health and your tuning ability will begin to show up... :p

When selecting the pumpkin , be certain to first count the number of studs holding it into the banjo , then when you take it apart , take the time to count the splines on the axle ends or inside the spider gears . if everything matches , you're home free with a $75.00 pumpkin .

Please , DO NOT go telling stories about how there are no '67 ~ '75 G30 chassis trucks in junkyards ! I see them all across America -
    just head straight for the nastiest looking brush painted dead camper / panel / plumber / vegetable truck full of gaping rust holes , or that ex Postal Van (P chassis) with three million ice cream stickers on it as they use them too .

Looks are un important when junkyard diving...

12. Wolf

Wolf Member

Thanks Nate! I will look into this someday, maybe? I would like to do this, but i just love driving the truck, don't want to tear it apart if i don't have to!!! Thanks for that info though, i will save it for sure

13. Wolf

Wolf Member

Some long motor pics and that sweet mug!!!

enjoy!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ccharr

ccharr Member

Really good to see the G on the road and a working door on it. Really nice looking the way it sits with those tires and rims on it.
    Which rims did you get that look so good on it?
    Keep up the good work on it.

15. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    The rims are nice. But, did you see the beautiful Chevy gauges he's got to stare at. Kinda makes him overlook the grill I guess:)

Flashlight

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

That Is......

..A right proper working truck ! :D .

17. Wolf

Wolf Member

The rims are dexstar trailer rims. I had my uncle custom make the hub cap clips to go on it and then powder coat the whole thing. Here is a link to my rim debacle. https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=11532
    My trouble is because I have the 3/4 ton truck. 8 lug rims. I just wanted them to look original.

no chevy gauges, my oil pressure goes up to 60:D can't be a chevy then:rolleyes: I could be wrong, but the 51 and older GMC gauges were the tan colored ones. These are what was on my 52 truck, the black ones. When i was re doing them, i asked my wife and she liked this style better. So that is what I went with;)

Nate!! Thats what these truck are made for right!!! Just hauled a bed full of junk left over from our garage sale this weekend. Oh yeah we took the 52!! I don't ever want to have it look so good that i am afraid to throw some junk in the back. Right now as you can see I don't have that problem:D

18. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Chevy vs. GMC gauges

Another thing that distinguishes a chevy gauge from a gmc is on a chevy, the gas gauge says "GASOLINE" whereas on a GMC it says "FUEL". Why, you ask? GMC used both gasoline powered and diesel powered engines during those years, chevy used only gasoline powered.

Yet more useless trivia!:D

Wolf, enjoy your ugly duckling!

Ken

19. Wolf

Wolf Member

I did not know that about the fuel vs gasoline. Mine sure does say Fuel. I love that "useless Trivia" Please keep em coming!!!

Oh i will have fun with my ugly truck, Gotta love that long motor though:D and hey at least i have shinny new rims and hub caps. ;);)
    Jim Carters had the 3/4 ton ones on sale. Thus the reason I have them:)

20. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    I did not know that they changed to the darker faces in 52. I put the tan faced gauges in my chevy...just a small confession here. The color looked better on my repainted dash. Thanks Ken for the trivia, I thought I had him there!

Flashlight