Rebuilding the 54

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Climberdad, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

Did not get her back today:(

Started finishing the bed wood. Red Oak (from our sponsor). Red oak stain. first 4 coats 50% Teak Oil 50% Mineral Spirits. Next 4 or 5 coats straight Teak Oil.

Trying to decide if I can/should finish with a few coats of Spar Varnish. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Don't know if the spar will go on top of all that oil. Leave it oiled and you can repair as neccessary.

3. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

I think you are correct. Thanks for the feedback.

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I used Tung oil on the 53. Sit overnight with the grain end in a bucket of 50/50 Tung and terp. Then flip to other end and soak most of the day. Next lay out on sawhorses and brush on 50/50 mix and let soak in. Wipe away excess before each coat, wheneer the last coat has soaked in. I did bottoms first, then flipped over and did tops so no sawhorse line on top. After I used up the 50/50, I put at least 3 coats of full strength Tung, rubbing in as I went. Make shure you get the sides VERY well also. After this, I don't think water will get anywhere near the wood.

5. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

Curious why you chose tung oil vs. teak oil? I've always understood tung oil was for interior uses and teak was for exterior (better UV protection)applications.

Given the number of coats - I'm sure either one is great.

6. herman quail

herman quail Member

Tung oil will dry over time,linseed oil will never dry 100%. Teak oil is designed to be applied to oily woods, like teak.
    steve

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The guys at Woodcraft Highly reccommended it, who am I to argue???? With a yearly application, it'll never rot.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Tung Oil 4 Wood

It certainly doesn't dry out over time ! I coated a sheet of plywood for the bed of my '49 years & years ago , one side only , it's still leaning agailst the back fence and hasn't dried out nor weathered atall .

Be aware this is nasty , sticky stuff ~ I got it on my hands and had the devil of a time getting it off , it ruined my favorite bush so the rest of it went on with a clean rag I had to discard later .

Tung Oil ROCKS !. it's cheap too ;) .

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Get rid of any rags with oil left on them......they will spontaniously combust on ya.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Tung Oil Rags

Thanx for the reminder ! they're long gone now ,under tons of other garbage in the dump .

-Nate

11. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

Back when I was in school - my room-mate and I were preparing to move into a new house. It was an older house with beautiful wood floors. We decided to clean and treat the floors before we moved in. We scrubbed them clean and then put down a few coats of Boiled Linseed Oil. It was late when we finished - so we closed up the house and when to our current place.

When we got back the next day we were very proud of our accomplishment. As we made our way back to the kitchen we were both completely puzzled by the burned hole (about 8" in diameter) in the counter top. :eek: We quickly figured out that we had left the rags full of BLO on the counter and counted our blessings that we did not burn down the house!

A few weeks passed and the landlord came by to check on us. They were very complimentary of what we'd done to fix up the house - the wife especially liked the new wood cutting board we added to the kitchen counter.;)

Spontaneous combustion is VERY REAL!

12. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Especially spontaneous HUMAN combustion! ;)

13. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

We've lost a lot of drummers that way.....

14. Zig

Zig Member

Really?

I thought that was spontaneous consumption... :rolleyes:

15. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

Here's a few progress pictures...

Attached Files:

16. Climberdad

Climberdad Member

the Carb floweth over

A question for the brain trust...

The rear carb is overflowing when I start the engine. And when I say overflowing - I mean out the top and down the engine to the floor... This just all of a sudden started - so I know it was functioning properly.

Stuck float? How to un-stick it?

Cheers

Bruce

17. federale

federale Member

Re:Overflowing

Back in the day, we just tapped on the base of the carb with a screwdriver, pair of pliers or whatever we had under the seat.:p

18. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Nate will probably specify the proper "tapping tool", where and how hard to apply it. If that doesn't work another possibility is a "sunk" float. Pin hole leak that allows the float to fill with gasoline. Or the needle/seat could be bad.

19. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Stuck something

Holley/Weber 2bbl carbs? I'd be taking 5 minutes to pull the top off to see exactly what is going on in there.

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Flooding

:rolleyes:

You didn't mention what typ of InLine fuel filter you have and where it's located .

I'd suspect either a tiny bit of dust or dirt stuck in the float valve (tap repair , use a hard plastic screwdriver handle) or a sunk float (if metal) or soggy float (if those newfangled crappy foam ones)

NAPA carries the good , metal Rochester Series 'B' carby floats...

Either way , it appears the collective brain trust (lets me out as I have no brain)
    beat me to being of any help here .... :p

:eek: