Advantages of a country lifestyle!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Blueflame236, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Now i am getting a bit fhilosofycal but what the heck .
    Well i like them both the country lifestyle , but sometimes urban life is also welcome. I`ll gues some of you guys collect model cars ,trucks , airplaines or maybe Marklin trains ? Me myself i dont have these intrests but my brother has. I `ll think he has collected more then a thousand trucks , cars and pickups on a scale of 1:25. all together. It has become his litle museum.
    He builds litle 1500 century boats to , made from wood and paints them in nice authentic colours. Spends hours and hours relaxing doing his hobby, drinking his coffee while talking to friends and nabours as he has become a pensioner now. I am not doing any model car advertizing here but just wanna illustrate something else that matters. Bought one of those chevy trucks from this guy once some years ago and gave it to my brother :D:D. I `d kinda like the advantages of a country life style , how about you guys ?

http://www.ll-0.com/osn_819923/e_article002284712.cfm?x=bkyWR4L,bhnT2ntp

Martinius.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Nice article and link Martinius. Thanks! It's the country life for me, but my wife and I do enjoy a weekend trip to the City every couple of months.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The Right Attitude

Philosophy is an time honored study Martinus .

I lived in The Country as a lad , glad I live ' In Town ' now but I do not live in a big city , no thanx to that .

In the big picture , life ,regardless of where you live , is what you make of it .

4. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

You are so right , its what you make out of it !

Thanks Nate for these words. I`ll give you a pm. back soon.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Fwiw ,

I have very fond memories of my previous Country Life .

6. spika

spika Member

Nice reflection, Martinus. I live in the country...25 miles to our nearest town, which is only 6500 people or so. An hour and a half to the nearest Walmart, and that's just fine with me. The wife is pretty much operating our farm on her own now. She's just starting this year's lambing season...has around 200 ewes to lamb out, as well as 20 or so goats. Has been feeding 120 hd of cows too, but they went away for calving season yesterday and won't be back until May. Back in the 80's we ran the place together, calved out our own cows and raised some grain, but economics just aren't there for smaller operations anymore. Was hard work, and quite discouraging when the weather or markets wouldn't cooperate, but there was something about it that just can't be found in any other profession.

I visit the "big cities" ever once in a while on business, and actually feel sorry for people who have to live in that rat race. Dealing with the traffic every morning and every night would drive me to drink. More. Excessively. I can come home to peace and quiet at night, just the sound of the coyotes singing in the pasture behind our house; wake to the sound of the roosters waking up in the mornings. I can work in the shop all night if I want...fire up an open-header v8 at 3 in the morning and no one hears it, no one cares. To me, you're not truly free unless you live on your own piece of real estate far enough away from civilization that you can't see anybody else...

7. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Country life style versus city life!

Walmart has the used dings & stuf department some places . I bought a used big trunck last summer and could take all my chevy parts (gold) back home wich cost me 70 dollars and no tax. I`d kinda like this used stuf and things section at Walmart , recycling is good . One gets ridd of what another person needs ! Not talking of garage sales. My cousin is totally notoric when it comes to these. Your wife must be a hard working woman as she has so much to take care of , good health and fysicall energi is needed here to. Its a bit different in your part of the country then here , like sending your cows away for calving we dont have that rutine to do that. If any problems acure the vetrenary is there at onces , but it is fysical hard work offcourse. What kinda hd. do you guys have ? Is it posseble to use the old chevy in any operation on your farm , haybailes gathering or driving other stuff ?

Farming is a kind different lifestyle that connects home and work together , it has its advantages and disadvantages but i am shore that a nice place where kids can grow up without city noice and stress makes it a to become a privilege to some. Its what Nate so very wise says "Its what you make out of life".

Wanna thank you all for these nice personal reflections. It makes us feeling being human beings and connects us together in different ways!

Martinius.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  8. spika

spika Member

Well said. We all come from different backgrounds, professions, cultures, and even continents, yet we all share the same interest in the old GMs. I think that's just kind of neat.

On the calving thing...when we sold our herd of beef cows, we instead started leasing the pasture out...take in calved out pairs (mother and calf) and graze them on our grass throughout the season. Normally they would be taken home by the owner in the fall, but we had extra hay and the ability to feed 2-3 round bales a day (each weighs about 1500 lbs), so we kept them around longer the past couple years. Yes, we would still need the help of a vet occasionally when things got really tough, but you get pretty skilled at ovine and bovine obstetrics...I can feel around inside a sheep or cow and tell if the young one is coming backwards or upside down, and work to turn it right so it can come out. With sheep, you can find as many as 3 and even sometimes four lambs inside; all of their legs are tangled up and you have to sort out the right front legs with the right head and neck, turn them into position, and then gently help them out. Got to where I would do it in my sleep back "in the day", before I struck out in a new direction with a "real job". Thankfully, most of the births come the way they're supposed to, and momma gets the job done just fine on her own. Then the challenge is to get junior up and eartagged and vaccinated without getting run over and rolled through the fence by a snot-blowing, hormone raging, protective mother. Lots of fun...

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Perspective

Is what it's all about , sometimes difficult to understand in the constant hustle & bustle of a Town or City .

I live in the very worst part of Pasadena but , like most non Urban Ghettos , it's actually fairly quiet and I strive to keep it that way , I'm in the process of transforming my parkways (grassy strip between sidewalk & curb) into a Desert garden with Cactus as it's green , peaceful , easy care and best of all , people prefer to walk on the other side of the street .

Keeping folks off your lawn isn't terribly difficult , just put some thought into it .

If you're diligent about picking up trash and covering up graffitti proptly , believe it or not , they'll stop asd the materiels co$t them and they will sooner or later realize they're wa$ting time & $ defacing your property .

Keeping your area nice and tidy , also has a ripple effect .

I also like to be out and about in the wee hours of the night and pre dawn because there's far less traffic or people about .

I'd like to thank the young 'uns here for letting us grayhairs ramble on , life is getting difficult for me of late so my focus may drift a bit .

10. Zig

Zig Member

I'm with ya, Nate

We moved into our spot 22 years ago. It and our hood were a dive. We loved the look of our house, however. I put what was left of my back into making this place look good, and lo and behold, after MANY years, the neighborhood looks like what we hoped for. What you do where you live, and what you give makes your home a better place. (If it's all good...)

My dream house has a slight slope to the water's edge. We had a place in the country w-a-y back in the late 60's. It wasn't late enough to not have someone pull up to our cabin in the woods,, bust out a window and take everything. If you live in the country now, I guess you need a gun to keep what's yours. That sucks.
    What happened to "the good old days?" (Screen door was all that kept out things at night~ while you slept?)
    sigh~