E3 spark plugs

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Charles0238, May 9, 2012.

1. Charles0238

Charles0238 Member

Is anyone using E3 sparkplugs in their trucks that has been converted to electronic ignition.If so how are they doing

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard Charles0238, got any photos of your ride to share?

I have been running the Autolite 3076's an d have not had any ... wait Naw those are the ones for the 36 Massey tractor, as I was saying I use the Autolite 303's with a .40 or .45 gap per Nate's direction and have had not a bit of trouble so far. Hope this helps a little and again welcome abaord.

Charles

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

More likely .040 to .045

4. coilover

coilover Member

Charles,
    Here is a rule that has served me well through the years; What do the big boys use? If some product was supposed to add power I'd check out what NASCAR, Formula 1, and the top drag classes were using. If they DIDN'T have the new miracle product and they have millions to spend then I didn't take my few pennies to spend and use it on that product. All the major car companies are in a heated battle right now to boast that their car gets the most mileage with the least maintenance so see if THEY use these plugs. If not, I'd second guess.

5. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks Bill,

typo's and age, how true. That would be one hell of a gap at .4.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  6. Wolf

Wolf Member

Thats great advice!!! I just run the basic plugs in mine.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Spark Plugs

With the possible occasional use of those flat faced plugs that will fire in a seriously oil fouled engine , using basic spark plugs is best .

As mentioned an old Racer trick I learned years ago is to open the gaps until it begins to miss then close it *just* enough to make it work .

Most well maintained ignition systems will fire them @ .050" but keeping it to .045" means you just gap 'em and toss 'em in , no worries and you'll be AMAZED at how much better any old (or new) engine runs with the wider gaps....

Even a marginal 6 volt system in a worn out 216 with 65 # compression will run vastly better @ .035" spark plug gap ~ you have to try it to believe it but once you do......

I drove my '69 C/10 to - day , it runs like a dream in spite of the burned oil smell that permeates it and the blocks around it ~ I'm glad I upgraded it to the stock 1976 / 1977 HEI system , not so much the one quart of oil every 150 miles but what the hell .

At least it smokes very little ~ I can barely see any haze behind me at night in the following headlights .

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oh Yeah ~

I didn't answer the original question , sorry .

I don't know what an E3 spark plug is but I *do* know that platinum plugs tend to burn way too cold in older engines , this leads to short life and fouling....