Installing Disc Brakes on a 6 lug hub

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Zig

Zig Member

Installing Disc Brakes, Master Cylinder, and wheel spacers on a 6 lug hub

Yes, that's right, I will be doing this in the next few days. My kit came in today, and Spring Break starts in two! I will document this to my best abilities. I will say that the caliper mounting bracket won't have issues with the steering stops in their original position, so I'm already even more happy!
    Stay tuned. :D

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  2. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Disc brakes upgrade!

Looking foreward to that Zig. Where did you buy the upgrade disc brake kit ? If there are any internet references it would be great to show them aswell , this to get some more background information and price level for the complete kit.

Friendly regards Martinius.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sweet !

I should prolly do this to my '69 C/10 too as all I needs do is find a '71 ~ '73 lower A-Frame with the spindle , rotor etc. complete , it's a bolt up deal once I change the upper Ball Joint to the '72 > typ .
    Thing is , so far I've not been able to over drive the stock Bendix 2" drum brakes it has on now ;) .

That and so far I've only seen one 6 lug donor truck in my travels ~ lots and lots of 5 and 8 lugs but only one lonely 6 lugger and every thing was in VGC but I'm cheap and lazy so...

Who knows ? mayhap I'll run across a Hot Rodder who's C/10 has the optional 6 lug 2-1/2" drum brakes , they'll be nearly free and should stop just fine .

4. Zig

Zig Member

In the beginning~

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Nate. That swap sounds as easy as this one seems.
    Martinus, the kit is from our host. I sent my wife a wish list for this year, just in case, and lo and behold it's now mine! :D
    Last night was soo beautiful I thought I'd get out there and fool around a bit, and very quickly and easily got the rotor attached to the drum. Now to get some good bearing grease and clean and pack the ball bearings, reinstall, and then do the other side.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      122.4 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      129.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      128.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Zig

Zig Member

The hubs before. When doing this swap, you'll notice the drums are held to the hub with three rivets. Cut these off and drill their holes out to 3/8". That way the three holes will now allow the three screws to pass through the outer plate, through the old hub, and into the rotor sandwiching the whole thing together. Easy peasy.
    Turns out, you won't need the ring that was on the back of the hub. However, I can take this with me to a salvage yard and see if it fits over the lugs of a Colorado rear end.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      124.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      120.5 KB
      Views:
  6. Zig

Zig Member

BTW~ All I wanted was the plain rotors, but somehow the part number for these fancy ones was what she put in for. I guess in case my original wheels don't fit, I'll have to get some that have openings to show these off~ ;)

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow !

Drilled , slotted AND vented rotors ! how fast does that GMC L O N G M O T O R go , anyway ?! :p .

A buddy of mine added disc brakes to his 1939 GMC 100 by making a simple bracket like you have there then he used Datsun pickup rotors and calipers , IIRC he had to add a shim between the inner bearing and spindle to space the rotor to the middle of the caliper .

he says it was dead simple , I don't see how :confused: .

8. Zig

Zig Member

Finished~

That was too easy, and ends up too cool, I think. :cool:
    But, as advertised, stock wheels won't work because of that massive calliper.
    Guess I'll have to get those snazzy wheels my car dealer has. They'll help show off the discs, since I have them... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• 039.JPG
      039.JPG
      File size:
      126.5 KB
      Views:
    • 041.JPG
      041.JPG
      File size:
      126.4 KB
      Views:
    • 042.JPG
      042.JPG
      File size:
      127.7 KB
      Views:
    • 040.JPG
      040.JPG
      File size:
      125.1 KB
      Views:
  9. Zig

Zig Member

Now if anyone has concerns about this upgrade, hopefully this will help. It's really pretty simple, and man, should it be much better than drum brakes!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  10. Chiro

Chiro Member

upgrade

Hi Zig,

What master cylinder are you going to run with this upgrade and where did you get the mounting adapters for that?

Andy

11. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Disc brake upgrade !

These brakes look awsame. Any reference parts number to our host website Zig ? Thanks fore sharing your install pictures.:)

Martinius.

12. Zig

Zig Member

Thank you for thinking part numbers. That would help even more~

Hi Andy! The whole thing came as a kit. No issues what so ever getting it put together.

Martinius, THANK YOU! Here are the items/price from our host. The prices for the mc and bracket may be backwards. I got the mc right away, but still waiting on the bracket.

Item # Description Price Remove
    71-201 (1947-59) Dual Master Cylinder $54.95

71-984 (1947-54) Master Cylinder Adapter Kit $89.95

71-975W6 STD ROTOR
    (1947-59) *Disc Brake Conversion Kit-6 Lug Wheel w/ Slotted & Drilled Rotors

$374.95

13. Zig

Zig Member

BTW, the master cylinder I'm using is not a power brake setup. My foot will have to provide that.

Getting ideas Andy??? ;)

14. Zig

Zig Member

I forgot to mention that the kit also comes with the flexible hose line from caliper to frame, but I'll wait on that until I have run the brake lines.

Anyone know of a good premade brake line kit for a split system?? Russ???

15. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I was always very satisfied with the dual chamber non-boosted master cylinder on my '57 GMC. I could lock up all 4 tires if I pushed hard enough (tried it in the high school parking lot when I first installed the brake system), so who needs power brakes?

16. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Looks great!!

17. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Hey Zig, I was just shopping in CP's catalog for the very same setup. Contemplating the upgrade. I already have the dual MC, for front discs if I remove the residual valve I installed. Ordered the roller bearing upgrade kit today. Still considering the disc brakes, though. What's the story about the wheels not fitting? Looks really good, and easy too.

18. Zig

Zig Member

Yup, the wheels hit/snug down onto the caliper. I'm not sure if a spacer would help, and I'm not going to worry about it. Getting my original wheels sandblasted and painted would probably cost as much as this set of cool chrome wheels will.
    I debated going roller bearing, but decided to keep on with the ball bearings for now. And it was w-a-y easy. I have the caliper to install on the driver's side and I'm done with it! (2 minutes tops?) Then I have this special project that I need to get after so I can ship it today!

19. Wolf

Wolf Member

Oh boy those are purdy!!! Way to go Paul.

Those really look great! Thanks for the pics;) I'm still rockin the hucks, but with your new faster, non 5.14 rear end I would do the brakes as well.

So do I expect a trip up my way this year for a game:) I now am only a mile from 69HYW. 2 GMC's look out world

20. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Zig:
    I never used the two 1/4" spacers that came with my kit because my truck already had mid 70's 4x4 rally wheels on it which were designed for disk brake clearance. If you (or anyone else) needs them, they are your's for the cost of the ride.

-Bill