Just for giggles

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mobileortho, Apr 2, 2013.

1. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Been trying to decide on what color to paint my truck. What do you think of the black???? It's rustoleum satin crayon black.

Attached Files:

• 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      95.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. Zig

Zig Member

Rattle Can??? AWESOME!!!

No, seriously, black is hard to beat. It will make sure you keep it washed, however.
    Maybe some cool, pointy, curvy, fat line(s) of color going through it?

(Nice angle to get that photo!)

3. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Yeah, I know it'll be a bear to keep clean but I've always liked the flat/satin black look!! This is temporary for now though, probably won't get it painted until sometime next year and who knows what color it will be in the end....red, silver, blue, white....IDK!!!

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Robert, satin black is cool, no matter what it's on! You gotta have bling on it though!

Ken

5. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Definitely! A chrome grill and front bumper are on my wish list!!

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

I like that color go for it.

7. Wolf

Wolf Member

I like that as well. Oh no you just gave me an idear...

Never mind the words from my son "Blue Truck?!?!" yep can't paint mine now;)

8. Zig

Zig Member

Blue is good too, right? Yup~ Brian, you are locked into that color! HA!
    It does look good though, even on a manly GMC!

9. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Well one things for sure, the black quickly showed me I have a lot of work to do. What looked pretty straight prior to paint turned out not to be the case. I see every scratch, pimple & wave!:(:eek:
    This may be a job I leave up to the pros!!

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      82.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Zig

Zig Member

I don't know, Robert~ I guess it depends if you are doing a show truck or not. Bondo be my friend. Get one of those 3M wheels, remove said paint from affected area, apply bondo, sand smooth, coat with primer, sand again~ areas that are low still have primer. No primer? prime and paint. It's rattle can or paint gun?
    I have no problem with the little flaws in my truck. Should some moron ever hit me or door ding me, it won't ruin a $$$$$$$$$$ paint job.
    That looks mighty tough tough- for a Chevy... :)

11. Elky67

Elky67 Member

What Zig said, if you really want to enjoy/drive your truck, i?d just go for the
    home paint job, with a little bondo here and there.

People in car parks or shopping malls won?t care, if you spent 5000$ on your paint job, they still let their kids or shopping carts scratch along your ride:mad:

Black gloss is not very forgiving with imperfections, but flat/semi black is.

My 1967 El Camino is flat black with American racing wheels and i still like the "bad" look of it:D

P.S. Once scratched, it?s easy to blend in again also...

12. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Oh trust me, Bondo & I are very familiar with one another with each other! And when I say pro believe me, I'm not talking about a high $$$$$ paint job. This is nowhere near a show truck, but I would like a decent paint job. I got the rattle can idea from another a fellow trucker and it looked decent so while exploring the paint section of the local Walmart I stumbled upon this paint. I'm going try this again but with a gun this time. If I stick with the satin black, I'll try the John Deere Blitz Black. I'm to afraid to try regular auto paint because there's a gas furnace 10' away. I don't want to blow the house up!!

13. Zig

Zig Member

I think I would wait until the temp is such that you won't have the furnace come on~ Your neighbors may not like you any more. Not to mention what your wife might have to say...
    I was at Home Depot today. Couldn't help but eye the paint guns they have. Siphon or gravity feed, that is the question!

14. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Looking at trying it next weekend. The temps are supposed to be in 70s but still have to watch out for the gas hot water heater. If it wasn't for this darned homeowners association I'd be painting in the driveway!!:D

15. ccharr

ccharr Member

Robert,

Tans show fewer of the blemishes, etc.

Charles

16. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Really??? Someone told me white works best! Hmmmmm....something else to consider!

17. ccharr

ccharr Member

For Dents white could be best but tan hides a lot too.

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hiding Imperfections

The general rule of thumb is : the lighter the color , the better it hides .

When I was building Salvage- Reconstruct for resale , I always chose light colors for this reason .

19. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

I'd considered white for the longest time because of that fact. But after seeing the black on the the truck I'm hooked!! I've been re-accessing things and may give painting it another try. The right rear fender & bedside came out nearly perfect but the rest leaves a lot to be desired with runs and blotches. Sanded and primed the bad spots. Still researching different techniques.

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Painting

I say : GO FOR IT ! I tried my hand at painting years ago and didn't have the patience , it seems that's the biggest thing .

I suggest the gravity feed HVLP paint guns they have now , easier to work with , efficient and economical .

Black is uber cool , just remember to take your time then color sand it well .