66 Fleetside Bed..advice needed

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by Ratnest, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Have'nt been on in a while...currently home-bound due to a bad ice storm...hope your weather is better.

I'm starting to work on the bed of my 66 C10. Since this truck was a bonafide basket case, I'm confused about what bed crossmembers I have, or should have. I've included a photo of 4 crosssmembers that came with the truck. Three appear to be the same and one is smaller and much different. Also, you'll see 6 cut-off pieces that when butted together are the length of the other 4 factory looking strips. The cut-off pieces look like they were made from a highway sign post! I can't get the prior owner to return my calls, and a "Bed Restoration Manual" I bought from Classic Parts is no help.

What is missing, if anything? Thanks for your help. Jim:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

If you have a short bed I do believe you have everything you need.

Perhaps this photo will help. My truck is a step side, but nonetheless the "thin" cross member goes where the frame arches up...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

My truck is a short bed. Thanks for the info and photo. Do you know what purpose the 6 cut-offs served?

4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I am guessing you were right! :D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  5. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Ratnest check the bed sill plate that sits on the frame, they tend to crack around the bolt holes, I had to replace mine, there are four spot welds on each side of the plate, I drilled them out and replace the plates with new steel and stitch welded them on the outside of the rail itself...there has been a lot of talk on another forum of whether or not there was rubber pads undr the bed sills between sill and frame, some say they had it some not, I`m going to use rubber inpregnated welting to place in mine..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

I appreciate the advice, but still wonder if the 6 cut-off pieces had some practical use for this truck. Since they are all the same length, someone put forth a little effort to produce them. One thing is for sure, as soon as I discard them....I'll figure out what they were for... Murphy's Law haunts me frequently.:eek:

7. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Previous owner may have made up some short pieces to piece in rotten boards, especially in fleet side trucks I have seen this before,infront and behind the wheel wells.

8. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

That makes sense...I think you figured it out...thanks Rich