1966 Custom Camper, any one have one besides me?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by bobcat77, Apr 2, 2008.

1. bobcat77

bobcat77 Member

I've got some photos of the build sheet and glovebox sticker posted on my photo page. I used to have a book (read..I loaned it to a 'buddy' and haven't seen it in a few years..) that lists the production #'s for these years, and of the roughly 500,000 trucks built in '66, there were just over 9,000 3/4 tons built with the custom camper designation. Someone out there has the correct numbers I'm sure, but that makes for a low production total...wonder how many are left on the road? It also explains the fact that I've not seen many of them over the years, and what I've ran across have been in California, where they were built, Fremont to be exact.
    The saddle tanks were most likely dealer installed or other aftermarket, just as the ones on my truck were. Coil springs on all four corners with half-elliptical helper springs on the rear. 327, auto, power brakes (says so on the brake pedal pad too)...sounds like you have a bonafide custom camper there! Did they add the $18 big rear window? At just over 3grand for these models that may have been a big deal for a truck!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  2. green&wide

green&wide Member

3. bobcat77

bobcat77 Member

Thanks for the link, G&W~ That would be the very first custom camper of 65 vintage I've ever seen. Truth be told, the only other models of custom camper I've seen were both 66's, one was a plain-jane'r (like the 65 in the other forum, no side trim and a 4-speed, it was in a wrecking yard!) and the other was loaded out with factory air and big back glass... yet both were power brake and power assist steering with comfort packages (thicker seat foam)
    BTW, your ride is absolutely gorgeous! Nice, nice truck...

4. bobcat77

bobcat77 Member

Rodded Radiator

Hey all,
    I just had the radiator rodded and made huge improvement in cooling~ had to replace the starter too, the coil packs were cooked! I know better than to let a vehicle sit too long but I did it to this one~! Hopefully this 100+ weather here in Tejas will subside soon and I can get more work done on my baby~!

5. Hilandr451

Hilandr451 Member

Sorry for not catching this until now - thanks for the shout-out Billy!

Hilander here, with the '66 Custom Camper, Nice truck! I wish I had kept the factory air I had acquired 15 years ago when I first bought my truck. A buddy of mine gave me a '65 donor with no eng. or trans that just happened to have factory a/c.

I was in dire need for cash at the time (5 kids and 2 were still in diapers) so I found an add in the auto trader where a guy was asking $200.00 for his. I called him up and he had already sold it so I gave him my number - within 2 hours I had 3 guys competing for my attention.

I sold that system, complete with engine brackets, short glovebox and center eye-balls for $250.00 and the guy came out that night at 10:00 to pick it up before somebody made me a better offer!

I just recently spiffed up my replacement badges that took me 3 years to acquire:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My truck left the dealership as a two-tone Crystal Turquios / Cameo White small back window C20 with a 327 V8, Carter AFB variant 4bbl, power brakes - drums, power assisted steering, beefed up suspention front & rear, front sway bar, rear overload leafs, HD rear axle, custom comfort interior, chrome horn ring, 2 speed windshield wiper with washer, deluxe heater, monaural AM radio, glovebox detail, deluxe seat, factory automatic transmission TH400, gauges, dealer installed saddle tanks, back-up lights, chrome bumper w/ bumper guards, anodized aluminum grill, custom camper emblems, west cost mirrors, and the custom exterior trim package.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  6. dowoplover

dowoplover Member

I thought I was the only person in the USA who had one of these!! Mine is currently in McKinney. Can we go offline and discuss these things? I want to do some stuff to mine, and/or sell it to someone who wants to keep it complete. e-mail me at dowoplover@yahoo.com

7. 66CustomCamper

66CustomCamper Member

Custom Camper

I also have a 66 Camper Special. It is almost all original. Original seat, wood, paint, 2 piece wheels, etc. Mine has power brakes and steering, Dual battery's, 292 I6, caution Flashers. The only midifications I have done is I restored the engine bay and rebuilt the engine added, headers, Offy 3 1bbl intake and replaced the th400 with a 700r4 so I could get better than 8 mpg. I will try to post some pictures.

8. 66CustomCamper

66CustomCamper Member

pictures

Here are some pictures of my Camper Special

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Hilandr451

Hilandr451 Member

Nice rig!!! What's the engine look like?

10. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

66customcamper,

Wow, what a beautiful truck. My favorite color..... do you know what the paint code is?

Thanks,

John

11. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

12. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

The Custom Camper trucks of '66 are mistakenly called Camper Specials, which didn't come into existence until after 1966. The GM literature identified the 1965 & 1966 Chevy C20 trucks with the Custom Camper features, as Custom Camper, not Camper Special.

13. kieth

kieth Member

I looked it up and it seems to be Saddle Poly go here to look it up this link is for a 66 gmc but at the top of the page it allows for a new search. It seems wierd the 66 chevrolet has a lot fewer color choices or maybe just fewer chip samples because the other colors were available in the past.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1966-gmctruck-pg01.jpg

14. mdhamman

mdhamman Member

I have a 1966 custom camper i love my truck i put new 350 and trans

15. sasquatch

sasquatch Member

hi

I just picked up a 1966 c20 custom camper monday 06-17-2013.
    I was told there where only 1499 made that year. I was also told the original owner bought it in new york. He drove it for 5 years then the radiator blew. So he parked it in his barn for 30 years and used it to store bags of feed in it. Which apperently preserved it. It does need alittle body work done. But everything is there all strait with barely a dent even in bed. The seat has alittle rip. All the gauges work all the lights on gauges work. Even has original radio that works and lights up. Numbers matching 327 with a granny gear 4spd. 2wd. Has 85,746 original miles. Runs like a top. Guy i got it off of had a new fuel pump,headgasket ,battery,chrome eddle brock: valve covers aluminum intake 4 berrel carb and air cleaner.i ordered tires wensday because tire that are on it are 31 years old and look to have really good tread but are dryrotted. Guys at the body shop couldnt belive how straight it was and how good doors shut.

So my name is eric and im new to the fourm thing. I never really done one.
    I dont know which direction to go with the truck. Keep it original. Restore it to original. Rat rod. 4x4 cummings chassis. I would like to upgrade to power steering and some headers with glasspacks. It does has true duals.

And it wont let me upload a pic of it from a phone sry i dont have a computer

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  16. sodly

sodly Member

Hope you can post some photos eventually. Personally, I love all-stock trucks so I would encourage you to keep it factory. Does it have 2-piece wheels?

I also own a '66 Custom Camper. Mine is just like 66CustomCamper's on page 2 except dark blue/white. 34k miles. I'm still in the process of cleaning it up and fixing a couple of non-correct items.

17. sasquatch

sasquatch Member

hi

If i had to guess i would say the wheels and hub caps are from the mid 70's.
    I should be getting a computer in next couple of weeks.

18. sodly

sodly Member

Did you ever take those pics?

19. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Custom Camper trucks are rare and sweet! :)

20. CapeE30

CapeE30 Member

brand new.....to me

Just picked up my very own 1966 Custom Camper. 283ci

[​IMG]