Anybody Used a U-Haul Car Hauling Trailer?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by Lakeroadster, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I am thinking about using a U-Haul car hauling trailer to move my three hot rods to our new place (3 hour drive, one way).

Since we are moving ourselves and using either a Budget or U-haul moving truck, using the trailer seems to make a lot of sense.

Anybody used one of these? They seem to be pretty slick.

Thanks,

John

2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

U-Haul rentals...

They seem to work ok, they are rented to the general public, mostly folks with little to no trailer experience. I don't personally care for their tongue-actuated brake controller, but, it's the only way to rent to people without properly equipped vehicles.
    I think you will be ok, the vehicles your hauling are light, and you are towing generally up hill, I believe.
    I know I don't need to tell you, but, a person should look over and pick the best one availiable. Look at tires and brake linings and test the brakes a few times before you load your valuable cars. Drive at a speed comfortable to you, and ignore the people impatiently tailgating you.

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks Steve.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

U-Haul Trailers

Oops ~ I missed this , I don't come here often .

April 10th I tossed a rod bearing in Tonapah , Az. and had to call my Brother for a rescue , I rented a van and two axle trailer in Phoenix (they won't rent pickups for out of state) , loaded up my car in the truck stop parking lot and headed home .

We stopped for dinner in Quartsite and came out to a flat tire , it wasn't old , just flat and all had been checked before we left Phoenix .

I called their 800 number and gave my info , in less than one hour a *very* nice young man who was a contract road tire service person showed up with a brandy new tire , swapped it out and checked the rest of them , he appeared surprised when I tipped him , it was hot and tire work is sweaty , dirty , dusty work any where (I used to do it for a living too) .

The trailer had no problems , had easy to extend ramps , easy to use wheel straps , they also allowed me more mileage than necessary , this was a nice thing because the rental fees are not much , they usually kill you on the mileage and fuel costs .

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks Nate, that gives me a bit more confidence.

I'll be using one of their rigs for my 3 cars and will report back once the haulin' is done.

John