Hello, My Name is...

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by RidesWithYah, Jan 10, 2011.

1. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Mark.

Nice to meet all y'all. Been searching the forum for tech help, and thought I'd introduce myself before I start asking questions.

This webpage hasn't been updated in the last 5 years, but then, neither has the truck:
    http://home.windstream.net/hd99fxst/pickuphome.html

I've had it for about 23 years. Drove it several of those, until I couldn't afford the nickel-and-diming, then it was parked. (And then kids came along...) I'm hoping this is the year I get it back on the road, even though I can't afford (money or time) the full resto-rod I was hoping for.

Making plans for and looking forward to spring tinkering!
    mark.

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Welcome Mark!

Enjoy the ride with us! Remember: There is no such thing as a dumb question!

Ken

3. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

Welcome!

Congratulations on being able to hold onto that fine truck for all these years. that takes commitment with everything else going on in life. I wish you the best. any of your young helpers showing any interest yet? If not, i am sure they will when they see dad out in the garage and you can show them a thing or two along the way while getting in some quality time and building memories to last. We await your questions and progress photos!

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Welcome mark !

Don't sweat the full restoration , just stop the rust and get it back on the road , the ' nickle & dime ' stuff is normal on 50 year old vehicles :p .

These guys collectively know EVERYTHING so ask away .

5. Wolf

Wolf Member

I am in total agreement with Nate here! All I did to mine was fix it up to be road worthy. I now have a truck that I use like crazy, and I can get in a drive without worrying if it will leave me stranded or not. Its nice to get in start it right up and drive it!!! Welcome by the way, post up some pics of you truck!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

I gave a link in the first post if you want to see more, but here's one to get you started...

[​IMG]

7. Wolf

Wolf Member

Oh i see it now, sorry my internet was acting up yesterday. Thanks for the pics!!! Can't wait to see you driving it out on the road!!!

8. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Let's try that again...

Make that 25 years.
    Maybe this time I'll actually get started for real.
    (Last attempt derailed, consider it a false start.)

LIFE HAPPENS.

9. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard Mark enjoy the ride while here.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Welcome home !

Mark ;

You're back , we're still here and your truck has a bit more rust , no worries mate :cool: .

11. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

The original plan was to park it until I had time and money for a full frame-off resto-mod. I've come to the conclusion that that will be 'never', and the enormity of the project has been keeping me from even getting started.

So it's time for a new plan, more in line with my budget for time and money...

Current thinking is along these lines:
    1) Brakes. Discs on the front, new master cylinder with proportioning valve, new brake lines, freshen brakes on the rear.
    2) Wiring. Clean up the rat's nest, replace what's old and brittle.
    3) Resurrect the 235, and throw a few goodies at it. Intake, carbs, exhaust, maybe cam and HEI.
    4) Tires and wheels.

Body and paint will have to wait.
    Anything else on the 'must do before driving' list?

A little more history...
    About 20 years ago, I replaced the 216 with a full pressure 235 (from a '56 passenger car). Bought it from a car buff who had just rebuilt it. He helped me with the swap... Shortly thereafter, I couldn't get it started, and he was kind enough to come over and help. He was tinkering under the hood, and I was operating the starter from the cab on his command. I don't know if he was a prophet, or saw or smelled something he didn't like, but I distinctly remember him saying 'stay off the throttle, I don't want this thing getting any more gas'. And then it caught. And promptly wound up tight, to WAY too many rpm. And stopped. Suddenly. The throttle had hung open. After we collected ourselves, he rocked the crank back to get it free, and got it restarted. A few months later, I was driving it (on the highway) when I heard a thunk and got into some heavy vibrations. Towed it home. Didn't know what else to do, so I called the guy who sold me the motor -- he helped me swap the broken piston from underneath, still in the truck, and wouldn't take any money for his help. Drove it several years after that with no issues, no smoke. All that to say, should I pull the head and check things out, or leave well enough alone?

Also, can the cam be changed with the engine still in the truck? Front sheet metal is off, as shown in the pic above.

Thanks y'all.

12. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Welcome, just do a little at a time and before you know it, it will be back on the road :)

Rico

13. Zig

Zig Member

What's a few more years, anyway. Right? I figure as long as I have my eyesight and can touch my toes, I still have time.

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What To Do Now

The usual old rig " Make Run " stuff : oil change , squirt oil or ATF on the valve stems between the valve spring coils & rotate the engine by hand until you're sure there's no valves sticking , adjust the valves , crank it sans spark plugs until you see oil in the rocker weep holes then set the points & timing to ball on pointer , let 'er rip ~ it'll prolly run fine , do the brakes and drive it whislt you're sorting the wires and so on , once you've gotten it to go and stop , slap on some new tires and register it , then figure out what to do next .

Have some fun and enjoy it as you go along .

15. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Going to grind that rust off of the firewall and get it in a coat or three of epoxy primer before putting the front sheet metal back on.

Anything special to watch out for when pulling the motor to get it out of the way?

I'm planning to leave the cab on the frame unless there's a compelling reason not to; and just work around the steering linkage, etc.
    Should I check cab mounts; and if so, what do I look for?

Wiring is also absolutely shot, and will need to be redone before getting back on the road.

Thanks y'all.
    mark.

16. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I would get a rear cab mount rebuild kit while you're at it. They're cheap and will stiffen things up quite a bit. Also check your front cab mount braces. These are stamped steel pieces that are welded to the cab itself. mine were rusted really bad and needed replaced. There's a rubber pad between them and the truck frame, they will likely need replaced, too.

Damon

17. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Look for my tech article on rear cab mounts.

18. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Went Shopping...

Took the day off work yesterday and drove 700 miles (round trip) to bring this home.
    Will get it on the stand over the weekend to see what kind of shape it's in.

Attached Files:

19. sleepindawg

sleepindawg Member

Looks like you got yourself a 261

20. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

anything special to watch out for when pulling the motor to get it out of the way?

If you have ever pulled an engine, these are about as easy as they get. Only issue I had was the front mount was worn out and the bolts would just spin, but 2 quick cuts of the bolts solved that problem.
    Enjoy:)