Help Identifying

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by awulff, Feb 10, 2020.

1. awulff

awulff Member

Hello - I'm new to this forums and could use a little help getting going.

It appears that I will be inheriting my father's 1953 GMC soon. I'm looking forward to owning and enjoying this classic piece of iron that's been the family for a while now (20+ years).

I would like to remove the aftermarket flatbed on it and go back to an original style bed. However, I'm being told in by some part companies that may mean changing the frame if it was originally a flatbed. But I'm not sure if it was originally a flatbed or not. The flatbed pictures I mostly see while googling are 1 ton and/or dualie rear ends.

Could someone help me figure out how to determine that? What would I be looking for on the frame or VIN number that would indicate that? Is it possible to make the conversion if it was or would I be looking at changing the entire frame?

TIA

Here's a pic for reference

vwnate1 and RidesWithYah like this.
  2. awulff

awulff Member

One other update. My dad says it's a 100-22 model. And the current bed is a homebuilt bed on the original from. So that means it should be able to accept a restoration, regular bed. Correct?

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

First, welcome to the forum.

Originally, there was a metal tag on the driver's side door jamb between the hinges. Looked like this:
    Clipboard01.jpg

It should have the chassis serial number on it. A good decipher guide for old GMCs can be found at
    OldGMCtrucks.com - Serial Numbers - GMC Decoding and Deciphering Links and Key

Your truck appears to be a '52 or '53 because of the combination of ...
    a. push button door handles
    b. vent windows in the doors
    c. two piece windshield

Most likely a '53 because chrome was in short supply (Korean War) in '52.

Assuming they haven't been modified, 1/2 ton (101 short 116" wheelbase and 102 long 125" wheelbase models) had 6 lug wheels, 3/4 ton (152 model only available in 125" wheelbase) had 8 lug wheels and 1 ton (251 model 116" wheelbase, 252 model 125" wheelbase and 253 model 137" wheelbase) also had 8 lug wheels. Non of the 3/4 ton trucks had dually rear wheels. Some of the 1 ton models did.

None came from the factory with flatbeds installed although you could buy a bedless truck and have the dealer install a flatbed. Frame was the same, regular or no bed.

Here is my '52
    [​IMG]

4. awulff

awulff Member

Thanks for the help. Great looking truck. Love the hat!

So unless the frame has been modified, I should be able to remove the flatbed and bolt up a factory bed without issue?

vwnate1 likes this.
  5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Yep. Assuming 102 model you'll need a long bed.

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. awulff

awulff Member

Dad said it was a 100-22 so I think that's a short bed. Don't really mind either way. But just want to get into the project and have the wrong stuff.

vwnate1 likes this.
  7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

There isn't really such a thing as a 100-22. 100-22 is a generic term for a half ton of either wheelbase with a 228 inch engine.

vwnate1 likes this.
  8. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Welcome to the forum!
    When you determine what bed you'd like, peruse Mar-K.com. They make their stuff in Oklahoma- not overseas.

9. awulff

awulff Member

I'm picking up the truck this spring in KS. So grabbing the parts of OK City is a possibility. I'll need fenders too which I'm not sure they carry.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    vwnate1 likes this.
  10. e015475

e015475 Member

Another vote for MarK. Although they make a reproduction, the quality and fit is excellent

I'd only put reproduction fenders on your truck as a last resort. You'll put more money in the repop parts getting them to fit than you would straightening out some originals.

I bought my rear fenders from Mother Trucker in Tucson - he posts here once in a while and also on the Facebook Chevy 3100 page. Here's my truck with a MarK bed.
    [​IMG]
    An oak bed from MarK
    [​IMG]
    There's a junkyard in Casa Grande, Arizona with a lot of AD parts - you might give him a call and see what he has for fenders - Desert Valley Auto Parts
    [​IMG]

11. awulff

awulff Member

Great looking truck. I'm assuming that's a frame switch. And thanks for the tip.

Found out from dad it has a 116 wheel base - so short bed which what I expected. Dad said he might have a contact with some parts too.

vwnate1 likes this.
  12. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

vwnate1 likes this.
  13. skalywag

skalywag Member

Another vote for Mar-K. Picking it up there would be a good thing. This stuff is heavy and I remember a freight company helping me unload it here in Nashville.

vwnate1 likes this.
  14. e015475

e015475 Member

"I'm assuming that's a frame switch" - Nope, it is a stock '49 GMC frame

IIRC, the shipping from MarK was close to $200 for the bed I ordered from them. The wood was a separate delivery and was about $80 to my door.

MarK has a couple of sales per year - one that gives about 10% off and another that throws in the shipping. You can sign up on their website and they'll notify you when the sale is coming up.

vwnate1 likes this.
  15. awulff

awulff Member

The ride is just a lot lower then stock so I figured there was a change.

I'm actually hoping to go tot MarK and pick up the parts. It will only be a few hours away from where I'm getting the truck.

vwnate1 likes this.
  16. coilover

coilover Member

You will be surprised by the Mar-K facility; it looks more like a college campus than a manufacturing operation.

vwnate1 likes this.