Two More Questions and Blank off Plate Picture needed

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by cmkruse, Jan 29, 2019.

1. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

I've checked every page of my assembly manual and I can't find which of the fender blank off plates goes on which side. I think the one shaped like an "L" goes on the drivers side but don't understand why its shaped like an "L" and the other one goes on the passenger side but don't know how it's oriented. Any one have a picture of the firewall to fender mounting showing these plates? While I'm asking I also need to know how the two brace rods that are in front of the radiator are installed. I have an old picture showing them disconnected and in an "X" configuration but don't know how or what they connected to. I was thinking the radiator support pan shield thing but they look to short or maybe they hook to the grille. Why doesn't the assembly manual show the radiator and the bracing - 0ops thats three questions..:D

2. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

4E64EBE8-23F5-4BC5-8144-43542DED62E6.jpeg E184B229-C2DE-4297-BEE4-EB08EB039F76.jpeg 03C9B1DF-3A8C-4AC3-9C04-6D9B250E360C.jpeg I think this what you’re looking for I don’t have a good pic of passenger side
    I tack welded mine in

3. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Great THANKS :) thats what I was trying to figure out on those blank off plate things.

4. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

LaTroca52, I notice in one of the pictures that the plate has the seal like the manual shows (I finally found a pic for a 5000 model). Do you know if these seals are available or what would work. I'm reluctant to weld the plates in as in the other pictures as I'm not sure of the inner fender fitment yet. That raises another question I have regarding the inner fender - does it mount on the outside of the area that the picture shows with the welded plate? If you know where the pictures are from on the welded plates maybe I could see how the inner and outer fenders are bolted up. I Sure appreciate the help.

5. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

No issues with inner fender I will get some pics for you as soon as I can with the plates mounted with the screws there is a piece of rubber that is stapled to the plate.
    Stock or welded there is a little gap between plate and inner fender like I said I will snap some pics time willing

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  6. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Hey thanks for taking the time. my truck had most of the front removed when I bought it and so these little fitment issues are hard to figure out. I see the front fender needs to have welting up to the point the inner fender is mounted so I was thinking the inner fender went on the outside of the area that is shown welded up in the pictures. The repop inner fender has a lip on it and it looks like it will cause the outer fender to be spaced out unless the welting takes up the quarter inch or so of space. I like the look of the welded up plates but if the seals are available I might go original. I don't know about the staples either or how you get them through the metal plates. Anyway thanks a bunch for all the help.

7. Zig

Zig Member

C63CC4BE-3EC3-4367-901F-BCF2138E43CA.jpeg 1B34F5C2-25FD-4036-B310-508CF5598B2C.jpeg Sorry this took so long! Hopefully these might help?
    I believe I used an adhesive to help hold the rubber in place.
    Same stuff I used on my fender welting.
    Good luck!

8. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Great pic zig

Zig likes this.
  9. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Okay, Now I understand the blank off plates deal. Thanks Zig for the detail pictures. Can you guys tell me where to get the rubber seals that go on the plates?

Zig likes this.
  10. Zig

Zig Member

Actually, I ordered mine through our host and they came with them.

I believe.
    Glad I could help!

11. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks!

12. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Hey Zig, I couldn't find them listed. Do you have a part number or a description for me to do a search for them.
    THANKS

13. Zig

Zig Member

Well, sorry it took so long getting back to you but this teaching gig has me short on “free time”.
    That’s why I’m much more of a pest come summertime.
    Anyway, the weatherstripping for those plates is part of the”Inner Fender Seals” kit listed as part # 37-725.
    The metal pieces are part # 37-791, and the adhesive is the Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, part # 03-299.
    My fee for this information is for you to post photos of your progress.
    #wink#

14. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Once again THANKS ZIG... I will post some pics as soon as I can figure out how to get them from the phone to the computer :). You will note from my member picture of ole betsy that she was pretty rough. So far we have replaced both inner and outer side cowls, floor boards, repaired the firewall, windshield interface, and installed a new dash. Now we are working on the lower rust areas of the body. It's been a challenge but with help from you guys on these detail items I am finally making some progress. :D

15. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Truck shop in orange California has them
    Part #47-06401 $9.00 pair

16. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Thanks LaTroka52, that part number is for the plates and I have them I just need a good source for the rubber seals that glue on them. I bought an inner fender gasket kit and it has two items that look like they would work but they are too short and won't go all the way around the plate as shown in the pictures above. Thanks for the input though. I ordered their catalog!!:)

17. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Hey Zig, here is a pic of the latest IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0981.JPG but still lots to go!

18. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1007.JPG Actually this is the latest on the lower body rust out