Wiper Conversion Kit for 1951 Chevy Truck

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Crystal Hickenlooper, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Crystal Hickenlooper

Crystal Hickenlooper Member

Hi. My name is Crystal and I have been working on a 1951 Chevy Truck for 7 years now with 2 friends. We have put a 1989 Chassis underneath with a 350 engine.
    We are working on electrical (converted to 12v) and was wondering if anybody knows if there is a conversion kit for the Wiper Blades to make more current version? We are in debate of what kind of money I should spend for the blades and the wipers.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Welcome to the forum Crystal.

Our host sells a few electric wiper motor kits for our old trucks. I use one in my '52 GMC and am happy with it. They all use the stock wiper arms, blades and under-dash linkage.

Try clicking here to get you in the ballpark. Wiper motors for classic Chevy trucks and GMC trucks.

3. coilover

coilover Member

You can use a modern "anti-sail" type wiper but it takes a bit of fabrication. First the wiper blade has to be shortened to the same length as the factory blade. This usually involves making a new way to clamp the cut off rubber in place. Next the wiper arm has to be grafted together so you have the blade mount at one end and the factory mount at the tower end. Only works with electric wipers as the increased pressure of the wiper against the glass is too much for vacuum wipers. With the windshield angle of an AD the factory wiper lifts at around 70mph to where it doesn't sweep the water off. Your ride sounds like 70 will be a breeze.