Lakeroadsters' Build Thread: '65 SWB Step

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Lakeroadster, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

A high mile (and mile-high :)) "Factory Fresh" 350 (circa 1970), Edelbrock Carb and Full Length Headers....

with old school M/T valve covers and a go fast screamin yellow Accel Super Coil ;)

(I'd really like to do a tunnel ram with dual fours and fenderwell headers.. maybe someday.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    vwnate1 likes this.
  2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Mocking Up The Pipe Bumper 03-31-2012

Welded the caps onto the bumper and mocked it up for a test fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. steve

steve Member

Looks Great

Lakeroadster,

Your truck looks great, the documentation is outstanding, at one time I had the 1961 GMC with the big "V" six, (30 years ago). Your project is comming along fine, after the bumpter what next, (just wondering what's your plan)

Is the profile of the hood pasted the bumpter profile? just wondering,

once again great job.

Lakeroadster and vwnate1 like this.
  4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks for the post Steve. Funny you should mention the bumper location.... Yesterday the wife came out to the shop and was admiring my handy work ;). She asked the same thing.

So while she was there I got out my level and moved the bumper forward, far enough so it would be the farthest point out. It looked hideous.

It's a form over function thing. Kind of like the old split bumper 70 1/2 Camaro's or the flimsy nerf bar bumpers folks used to use. Logic dictates that the bumper has to be the farthest part out in front.... but the Hot Rodder in me says Rules Are There Ain't No Rules. :cool:

In regards to "what's next" I need to finish the orange paint on the cab, then do some mechanical stuff like fixing a leaky rear pinion seal. It's all good!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    vwnate1 likes this.
  5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Radiator Support Mounts and Bumper Bracket Attachment 04-07-2012

The OEM radiator support mounting bushings needed replaced. I purchased an aftermarket kit that came complete with bushings and mounting hardware from our site sponsor. An air chisel was needed to get the old mounts removed from their 47 year location. The new mounts raised the doghouse about 1/4".

[​IMG]

Now that the doghouse is back up to the correct height I finished locating the bumper brackets on to frame, fit-up the brackets to the bumper and tack weld them in place. Here are a couple photos of the truck after everything is in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. ccharr

ccharr Member

I've followed this build for awhile and it truly is eye candy, Thanks for keeping such an detailed account of your great work. Makes me wish I still had my 65.

Again Thanks,
    Charles

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    Lakeroadster and vwnate1 like this.
  7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks Charles!

I did some final adjustments on the bumper today and took a "blue sky day" photo.

And in the unlikely event "Johnny Law" hassles me about a front plate, I roll formed the plate and drilled and tapped holes in the bumper. I don't like the look, but I'll have the option if needed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  8. 64shortbed

64shortbed Member

looks good i like it. not so much on the tag but i know were your at you have to have a front plate. But still looks good!:cool:

9. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Not gunna run the front plate unless made to do so. "File that under C.S. over there........:cool:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IkDW9iLeLY

10. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

On my drive home the other day I spied a turquoise piece of sheet metal laying near an intersection. I told the wife, "that looks like a cowl corner for a 64-66truck! We turned around at the next intersection and sure enough it was the drivers side cowl corner off a '66. The wife jumped out and tossed it in the back of my truck.

It's in very good shape, only minor surface rust, no pitting. These are about $100 for repro Chinese parts.

Go figure... guess I had some good karma?

[​IMG]

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cowl Corners

?? do they rust out or summat ?? .

I remember back in the late 1960's folks would chrome then , it looked awful but style is weird sometimes .

Too bad you didn't see the truck loaded with old parts headed to the dump that your new corner piece fell off of.....

12. azbagger

azbagger Member

vwnate1: Excellent on painting the reflectors inside the tail light assemblies. Mine were a mix of solid black paint and surface rust. I did as you suggested and it really made a difference. I'm going to do the same on the front park light assemblies as well.

Lakeroadster: Outstanding build with your pics and text. I'm learning a lot from your thread and my '66 C10 will benefit from it. Thanks for sharing. :D

Azbagger

13. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Dash Cover Ideas

I never really contemplated a dash cover until I moved from Ohio to Colorado. The sun is so intense that many folks out here use them. I found a company that makes dash covers for our trucks, best part is they are under $40 bucks.

Here is a link to their website: http://dashcare.com/c-everything.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The company will send you (3) material samples to help you decide what color / material type best fits your fancy. They have over 60 different types.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Dash Covers

Yep ;

They're nice ! .

Remember though : a dark color absorbs more heat & U.V. so consider getting a light color or those reflective things that fold up when not in use .

15. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Charcoal is the color I'll be using, it is a good match with other interior components.

And one of those shiny reflector things for the windshield :eek: those are a couple decades too new for my old time capsule, plus it will keep people that walk by from seeing the hood louvers reflecting in the chrome dash mounted tach. :D

Remember Nate, it's an old Hot Rodded truck, not a Prius. :cool:

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Prius , Shmirus

Once you try one of those fold up things , you'll love it ~ they reduce in cab heat and stop UV damage to the interior and seats , dead .

Plus , you can now sleep in it in the direct sun ! just open the windows for cross ventilation and stick yer feets out the window .

Yes , I do this in all my oldies .

17. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Yeah I know, Nate. I have them in my daily drivers, and have done so since the mid 1980's.

I was using them back when they were made of cardboard. They were required to protect the crappy grade of plastic GM uses, especially during the 70's and 80's.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  18. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Fauxtina Paint Post #14

Prepped the cab and doghouse prior to rolling on the first rolled on coat of primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to paint the lower portion of the radiator support (grille surround) textured black to match the front bumper.

[​IMG]

19. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Patina Post #15

Rolled on the 1st and 2nd primer coats on the doghouse, cab and cowl. These primer colors where used by the factory, thus the "plan" is to use them so I can attempt to replicate a natural looking patina.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some photos I am using as a guide. This 1963 belongs to Chad Mcdonald. He was gracious enough to send me some close up photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Patina Post #16 06-24-2012

Rolled the orange paint on the cab and dog house. Sanding and deglossing to follow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]