Plans for speaker box needed

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Tailgater, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

I have made it past the essentials and I am now working on the accessories. I am putting in a stereo and wanted to ask if anyone who had already done this would have any specs for speaker boxes or brackets. I have two 5 inch speakers that I am putting in front somewhere and 2 6X9s that I am putting behind the seat. I have no tank back there so I have all that room to work with.
    I have a table saw, routers, etc. so fabricating from wood is not a problem.
    Any ideas?
    Gater

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

What I used to do on the old beater trucks I drove in the '70's was attach the speakers to the springs of the seat back using hogrings and letting the magnet of the speakers hold it tight against the springs eliminating rattles.

I've got no suggestion for the front.

3. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

These aren't complete plans, but it does give dimensions and an overall idea of how the box should look when done. I'm not sure of this design, though...it seems to me as though it will build back pressure since it is a subwoofer type 6x9 box, so don't be surprised if you need to drill a 1-2" hole in the box as a port to allow the speaker to "breathe".

Link: crutchfield

4. Zig

Zig Member

Sorry G~

No plans until you've posted more, "You won't believe the trip I just took" posts!:D

Tunes, eh? If you're going to play "Bush" tunes, I'd say get a couple of coffee cans and fill them with paper towels. Wire up your speakers and just drop them in. That way you can move them around, set them in that l-o-n-g bed of yours, and the paper towels will keep things from buzzing on you!
    If you're playing good rock and roll, sturdier plans can be had. (Forward your check to the Democratic Headquarters...:D)

I'm glad I could help get your wheels going on this endeavor of yours!:p

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I stuffed a 12" sub behind mine.

6. Volker

Volker Member

stereo in a 1946 1/2 ton

i build in the 6"-speaker in the kick panel (left+right), cut a hole in the kick panel screwed in the speaker an now - loud enough:rolleyes:. and a 10" bass booster behind the seat. It fits between back of seat and gas tank. The radio is hidden under the dash with remote control. My biggest problem is the engine is too loud but sometime i will find a solution for this.

7. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

I am vacating in Atlanta this week with my son. So far we have seen:
    Southern Museum of History and Rail 3/21
    World of Coke 3/22
    Georgia Dome 3/22
    Stone Mountain 3/22
    Bodies Exhibit 3/23
    Turner Field 3/23
    Zoo Atlanta 3/23
    Cyclorama tomorrow
    I really enjoyed the Southern Museum because that is where "The General" is located. That is the steam locomotive that was stolen by Andrew's Raiders in 1862. They stole it from the rebs while they were eating breakfast and a chase ensued where they were captured near Chattanooga when they ran out of steam. The members who didn't get hanged were the first recipients of the Medal of Honor. I rode "The General" when it made its centennial run across the eastern US between 1960 and 1964. I was about 6 but I remember it well. It was a great walk down memory lane and I think my 14 year old enjoyed it too. The only thing that would have made it better would be if I could have made the trip in the '48.
    Oh yeah, I walked the 1 1/3 mile walking trail to the top of Stone Mountain in 24 minutes flat. My son walked it in 21 so I didn't do too bad for a guy turning 53 in a few days.
    I plan to try to do a good job on the speaker boxes and post some pics once I get around to it.
    Gater

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  8. Scubanero

Scubanero Member

9. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Scubanero,
    That is consistent with what the audio guy told me.
    He also said that the proper dimensions for the box would be 1/2 cubic feet of space for the 6X9 speaker. With the displacement of the speaker in the box that would leave about 1/3 cubic feet which should be the optimum space for that speaker to sound its best. He also suggested adding foam pillow fill to adjust if needed. I don't think that my hearing is that discerning but I also want to do it right.
    Thanks,
    Gater

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey Gater!

While you're forging memories that will last forever, (or should I say blasting them like an anvil;)) take your son to the Varsity Diner in Atlanta. Big crowds, but worth the wait! I hope you're taking pictures and hope that you share them with the group!

What a way for a kid to spend spring break! Bonding with dad and seeing Americana at its best! Good on ya, Gater! Good on ya!

Ken

11. Chiro

Chiro Member

Varsity Diner

"What'll ya have?"

'round the corner from Geaorgia Tech. what a place.

Don't forget the Georgia Aquarium right downtown in Atlanta. NOT to be missed. Largest in the world and very impressive.

Andy

12. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

A friend of mine is a higher up at the railroad museum, but I have not made it down to see it. Check out underground atlanta also.

13. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Here are some pics of the speaker box(es) that I built this morning. Note that the hole that the speaker is in is not centered top to bottom. The magnet on the back of my speakers is huge so I slid it down till it cleared the back of the box.

Attached Files:

14. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Here is where they will go and how they will look. I put some old vinyl on them that I had around here for a while.
    I will put a cleat on the bottom of the box and attach it to the channel that you see at the bottom of the cab.

Attached Files:

15. Wolf

Wolf Member

That looks too cool! your truck looks great by the way!

16. Zig

Zig Member

Wtgww!

That stands for "Way To Go, Wood Worker"!:D

Thumpity thump-thump!

I'll have to go a different route. My tank is still back there.
    Great job, G!

17. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Zig,
    Would there be room to mount them above the tank? I don
    t have one to look at so I don't know how much room is there.
    Gater

18. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

It might work

Not on the sides, but maybe on top?

new folder 021.jpg

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Speakers

On the sides , that's where they are in my '49 , works great .