Greg's 50 Build

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Root2812, May 26, 2012.

1. Root2812

Root2812 Member

What kind of hardware are you guys using to mount your fulton visors to the inside of the door frame? I was thinking self tapping screws but I don't know. Do you have problems with the heads scratching the paint off the doors when you close them?

I've got the position down but just not what hardware to use.

Thanks

2. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Ok so no one has a visor installed..

Does anyone know where there is a list of exactly how many of what I need to do the 12v conversion?

3. cmunoz11018

cmunoz11018 Member

Hey Root,

I found a nice video on UTUBE under "converting a 6v to 12v on 53 chevypickup". the guy on the video gives detail info as to items needed for upgrade... hope this helps.

Carlos.

4. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I believe you'll need 12V light bulbs, an ignition coil, battery (obviously)... the wiring should be ok as-is. You'll need 12V to 6V converters for any dash instruments that aren't mechanical. I'm sure if you search around here on the message boards, someone has probably written up a nice "how-to" on the subject. Good luck!

Damon

5. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

6. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Carlos, Was that the movie that had a country song playing the whole time?

Damon, my wireing was so rotten and dangerous that I ordered a new harness from EZwire and decided to do the conversion at the same time. I thought that somewhere there was a list that showed how many of what bulb was needed, and how many resistors, ect with part numbers. If I'm ordering parts I want to get enough so I don't get half way done and find that I missed something and then have to wait a week.

7. cmunoz11018

cmunoz11018 Member

Root, yes- it starts with this guy talking about what you will need then goes into a music selection while displaying in writing the steps to take. you can pause it then wrint down info.
    let me see if I can attach the link.

Carlos.

8. Root2812

Root2812 Member

I watched it. Now if this 2nd winter would go away I could get started on it. :)

9. N.T.Q

N.T.Q Member

do you have any of them parts left for sale ? also great build

10. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Which parts? Have a whole extra truck but some of it is junk. For big stuff I still have, a spare bed, another set of bed sides, fenders and hood, spare frame, and 64 impalla ss bucket seats. Thats it for big stuff. What are you looking for?

11. cmunoz11018

cmunoz11018 Member

Hey Root. u got a good front fender passenger side available?

Thanks, Carlos.

12. Root2812

Root2812 Member

No my front fenders are all in need of replacing.

13. Root2812

Root2812 Member

At long last she is home. What an eventful trip though. I had to borrow a truck since my ranger doesn't have enough power (4cyl) to tow the 50' 200 miles. Like always the truck fought me every step of the way. It started with the sediment bowl leaking so I couldn't get the truck to start. Lucky for me I had ordered a new gasket this winter from classic parts. Unlucky for me I think someone may have swapped fuel pumps at some point because the gasket was too small. I had to make a temporary gasket with some cork. It worked! Well I had cranked it for a while to try and start before I found the fuel leak and since she hadn't run since October the battery was dead. A quick pull start and she was purring like a kitten and just sat there and idled.

I drove it up on the trailer. I only have a tow dolly so the rear wheels were on the ground. Went 5 miles and luckily I stopped for a burger before I hit the long road and I saw the trailer tire was almost flat. Found some free air at a gas station and on I went. Then things got hairy.....

I forgot one major thing. The 50' has no steering lock like my newer cars. I went around a corner and as the wheels turned the truck almost came off the trailer. She threw one of the wheel straps (the kind that goes over the wheel like a net) and that wheel was almost off the trailer. THANK GOD FOR SAFETY CHAINS!!!! I got her back on the trailer and used some ratchet straps to tie the steering wheel to both doors and now it wouldn't turn. From there on out it was smooth sailing. When I got home it fired right up and drove off the trailer and into my drive way.

Now I need some better tires and to square away the wiring and I can drive! My goal is to be ready for back to the 50's!

And some pics!

My wife snagged this pic of it being towed behind us.
    [​IMG]

On the trailer
    [​IMG]

Coming off the trailer (video)
    http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Root2812/media/1950 Chevy/IMG_2343_zps790ea3bb.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

And here she is in her new spot... Well Until I put it inside.
    [​IMG]

14. Zig

Zig Member

I'd say the Lord was with you! Glad you made it safely back home and now you can finish up the details and keep driving that, right?

15. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Yes, the plan is to get tires, fix my fuel pump, and square away the dangerous wiring. After that I will be just maintaining it and driving it for a few years. As money comes I will start building that 2nd chassis for the eventual swap but I want to make sure I can safely enjoy the truck as is while I build its lower half.

16. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Minor work got done tonight. After fighting the rusty bolts off with PB blaster and then some heat I was about to mount my grill guard. Its a minor accomplishment but it felt good to do something on the truck. It was dark outside so it didn't look like it stood out but I hope it looks better in the light. And yes it is crooked. The truck was hit in the passenger front side so the bumper brackets are twisted. If the bumper was straight then the grill guard would be too.

[​IMG]

17. ccharr

ccharr Member

I really like the patina it has, you will really like driving it while you get these to up grade it.
    Thanks for sharing your photos and progress.

Charles

18. Makin' Memories

Makin' Memories Member

That's a nice looking truck that you have there! I am also working on my truck while at college and the distance can be a hard thing to handle. Looking forward to seeing more pics and progress!

19. markcp

markcp Member

Great looking and happy you made it home in one piece. Love the patina it is showing.

20. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Well, the long holiday weekend is over and I am sure many of you have made some good progress on your projects and will probably be posting pictures. My old chevy was neglected but I took the weekend to breathe some new life into another chevy so I thought I'd share the story/pics.

Last summer my dad needed a new truck to haul things and do a lot of parts runs for his auto repair shop. I ended up picking up a 2000 Silverado for $1800 for him. Its only a v6 but it is still a 4x4 and get about 20 mpg so its perfect for the job. The big problem was that it had more dents than a golf ball thanks to a rough life as a landscaper's truck and the rockers were rusted out. It took a lot of work and a new box but my dad did a great job on the body work over the winter. This weekend I helped him finish the job.

Where the weekend started. Prepping for sealer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is some with color and most of the assembly done.(Notice the nicer rims. They came off an 06 but look way better than the black ones.)
    [​IMG]

There was a little too much orange peal so I did the wet sanding and my dad followed me with the buffer.
    [​IMG]

And a nice shot of the shop.
    [​IMG]

Home and finished. We were pleased.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now back to my project. :)

On a side note... I decided to make the best of my drive this weekend and tried "hyper mileing". I normally get 29 mpg highway on a good day with my little Ford Ranger but today I got 36.2 mpg. Not bad for a truck. Its pretty fun to see results like that too. :)

Last edited: May 27, 2013