Two Questions - License Plate Frame and Interior Cardboard

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by cmkruse, Dec 23, 2018.

1. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

First item - anyone have a source for the early license plate frames. The ones to fit a 12 inch wide plate from the 40's.
    Second item - anyone have a source for the textured card/hard board side panels in the interior of a panel truck.

Thanks
    Craig

2. Zig

Zig Member

Good luck with cardboard panels.
    I ended up with some kind of plexiglass stuff that I made my panels out of.
    That cardboard crap just didn’t last for me.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I used some kind of fiberglass panels I found on line. They are around 1/8" thick, smooth one side and textured on the other. Beveled the edges to fit better into the chrome trim our host sells and then painted them to match interior colors. Been holding up fine for 5+ years.

4. coilover

coilover Member

I use the plastic one. If a sparrow pees in the same county as your truck the moisture will cause the cardboard to get wavy.

5. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

I found a place called quietride.com that has ABS plastic ones that are already cut to the right shapes and everything. They even have the complete ceiling panels. A bit expensive but looks like thats what I will do. Now if I can just find a source for that old style license plate I will have two items off my list.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The license plate frames are out there, the deal is to find them affordably .

Best bet is to go to the local Auto Swapmeet, the one the Low Riders like to go to, in with the crap you don't want, will be newly manufactured license plate frames in the size you want .

Before installing the headliner be _SURE_ to buy some inexpen$ive closed cell silver foil backed insulation and trim it to 1" away from any edge then use a roller to install it clear across the roof and down behind the fuel tank, you cannot imagine how much nicer it'l make the rig to ride in until you've done this .

I always like to do inside the doors too, makes them close with satisfying thunks rather than the original clang .

Please take pix of the ABS headliner before, during and after the installation .

7. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Update - I wouldn’t recommend the quiet ride products. The side panels were short and didn’t fit all the way to the top. And the headliner is one piece and not the two piece for my panel it also didn’t have the visor holes or the Dome light hole. I had to buy the cardboard headliner to use as a pattern but I haven’t tried to cut the ABS plastic yet. I was pretty disappointed and figured a higher price product would be a better quality than just the cardboard. Go figure.

8. cantdrivemall

cantdrivemall Member

I took my 54 panel to the upholstery shop, 500.00 later I rolled out with a really nice insulated cloth headliner.
    All the “ pre cut to fit “ ABS and cardboard headliners and door panels are junk. Don’t waste your $$.

9. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Now you tell me - should have asked in the first place. Duh!

10. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  11. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Looks like they have some nice products from the facebook page. I need to check out the website

12. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Update - I have to retract my complaint on the quiet ride products. You can't beat their customer service. The replaced my short panels at no cost. The problem stemmed from the fact they used measurements from their 53 shop truck which doesn't actually have the side panels installed as they use the truck to showcase the acousticshield product installed on the side areas. They are going to change the dimensions slightly based on my input so others don't have the same problem. I really like the fact that I can install the abs with leather grain and not have the cheap looking cardboard. Which by the way I couldn't find a supplier for the complete headliner and side panels too anyway. I can't tell you how much I appreciated Jeff's help with my issues. They even have a Utube video on how to trim or cut the ABS. I don't have a decent upholstery shop around here so this was my best option. I tried to look at the White Wolf stuff but couldn't find a website and face book is just a show place and no prices so I'll stick with quiet ride solutions for my needs.

RidesWithYah likes this.
  13. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

14. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Cool thanks for the update