Rear pumpkin swap

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Chiro, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Chiro

Chiro Member

Anybody ever hear of swapping out the pumpkin on a half ton with a later GM open drive pumpkin to eliminate the torque tube? Somebody over on the HAMB is talking such blasphemy. would be cool if it could be done. Keep my original rear, swap out the rear housing on my 4 speed with an open drive housing and possible getting some better gearing in the rear without spending an arm and a leg for the ring and pinion conversion.

Andy

2. TruckPoor

TruckPoor Member

Andy, you should be looking for a 55-1st rear end and springs if you want to switch over to open drive line. Thats what I did to my 53, and the gears are 3.90. The other way to do the switch would be to buy the axle mounting kit, weld the new perches on your old axle. Then find a pumpkin from a 55-60 or 61. Chris

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Final Drive Upgrade

Andy ;

This can be done on the 3/4 T > AD's , those have a short Torque Tube followed by a support bearing and an open drive line back to the rear axle .

You cannot do this do the 1/2 rigs as the entire rear axle is hinged where it attaches to the rear leaf springs .

As usual, those boobs over # H.A.M.B. are talking through their hats .

4. Zig

Zig Member

Or...

Andy, if you have a way to make the back of your tranny open, then just remove the rear end and get you a new one with better gear ratio. You'll have to have a drive shaft made, but that's not impossible. I believe our host has the conversion kit for mounting the axle to your springs.
    Do it, Andy! :cool:

5. trucktony

trucktony Member

I'am also looking for a pumpkin switch
    Can buy a 63 impala rear (with I hope 355:1)
    I heard somewhere that there was a possibillity to switch these with a
    55-59 apache rear axle
    Or was this swap only possible with the earlyer car pumpkins
    Say : 57-61 ???
    Thanks