Speedo Problem and Wiper Question

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by bstockton1, Jun 6, 2004.

1. bstockton1

bstockton1 Guest

My restored 71 sits in the garage more than it's driven. It takes several miles, sometimes 30 miles or more for the speedometer to start working. When I drive it on back to back days, it will work on day 2 right from the start. Any ideas on fixing this issue. It is a brand new speedo purchased from Chevy Duty.

Anyone have an easy way to remove wiper arms without scratching the cowl paint? I recently purchased SS screens from Chevy Duty and don't want to risk chipping the paint to get the cowl off.

Forum or email me: bstockton@cox-internet.com

2. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

RE: Speedo Problem and Wiper Questi

>My restored 71 sits in the garage more than it's driven. It
    >takes several miles, sometimes 30 miles or more for the
    >speedometer to start working. When I drive it on back to
    >back days, it will work on day 2 right from the start. Any
    >ideas on fixing this issue. It is a brand new speedo
    >purchased from Chevy Duty.
    >
    >Anyone have an easy way to remove wiper arms without
    >scratching the cowl paint? I recently purchased SS screens
    >from Chevy Duty and don't want to risk chipping the paint to
    >get the cowl off.
    >
    >Forum or email me: bstockton@cox-internet.com

Assuming you replaced the speedo cable, it sounds like you are suffering from a loose gear that is wedged on the tail shaft of your trans. it runs your speedo gear like a ring and pinion in a rearend. Sometimes the gear attached to the tail shaft becomes loose and after a few miles of slipping reattaches to the shaft because of friction. that is why the speedo works the second day, it is still wedged on. they were designed for more use than you use it. Chances are if you replaced the gear set with a new set you would not have the same problem.
    On a side note, if the speedo is showing the correct speed, then get the same set you have now. They come in different ratios so you can correct the inaccuracy of the speedo.

For the wipers, I use needle nose pliers that I slip under the wiper arm. Pry up and squeeze lightly and the arm will slide off. Use a buddy to catch. Also, I should note that the ends of the pliers can and will dig into the cowl, I use a thin piece of rubber with a towel between it and the paint to pry agaist. The rubber will absorb the brunt of the force. Go slow and you'll be fine.

BRANT