Rochester Monojet Carby

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by vwnate1, Jan 21, 2014.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

This might be another too long boring ramble so delete now might be wise .

My '69 C/10 came to me with a badly abused Aluminum carby that had been tossed to - gether by some boob in a rebuilder who know you can mix and match almost any M or MV Monojet cary parts , I was lucky and when perusing on of my favorite Self - Service Junkyards , found a totally rusted out and stripped to bare bones '69 C/10 that some very nice person left the correct original never rebuilt before '68/'69 only carby sitting in the middle of the bare cab , I practically danced to the pay shack and paid $35 for it , took it home and opened it up ~ it was clean and perfect inside to I buttoned it back up and installed it and have been enjoying it for years now but in December it developed a serious vacuum leak that precluded the engine from idling , once you got it to start .

So I bought an overhaul gasket and seal kit from..... Rock Auto and took it all apart , scrubbed off the 1/4" of rock hard dried gasoline and engine oil plus dirt then used aerosol brake cleaner to flush out the internal passages and so on before re installing and adjusting it , this time it looks like I fixed the pretzelized auto choke rod too .

CarbyO.haul 001.jpg Engine sans carby

CarbyO.haul 002.jpg carby cleaned

CarbyO.haul 003.jpg Better pic of clean carby ? .

CarbyO.haul 004.jpg Nearly done

CarbyO.haul 005.jpg all done , running great again .

2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

A. Interesting, Nate, finding "gold" like that in a scrap-yard. Wish I had a good salvage yard around me. Better yet, wish I OWNED one. I think I would go to work happy every day. I would be disappointed if people just took my first price without haggling with me. That would take all the fun out of it!
    B. Your original air cleaner is kinda odd looking and cool. Isn't it missing a sticker that reads "keep your GM truck all GM" or some such thing?
    C. NEW CAB PICTURES.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hi Steve ;

This is the original heavy duty dry typ air cleaner , they also made an oil bath one I'm diligently searching for as oil baths are the very best there is .

The ' use GM parts ' sticker is there , it's rectangular and you can see it if you look closely at the larger pix (click each one to enlarge) , it's really scratched and beat up as is much of the elongated part ~ I now have two of these , slightly different and in time , I'll hopefully be able to make up one really nice one I will re paint and add stickers too .

In one yard I found yet another low miles limited use rig (one ton) that the@$$#ay removed the air cleaner and tossed it in the aisle where the yard ape on the forklift promptly ram it over , ruining it beyond all help .

Shiny perfect paint and all , it was trashed :mad: .

Interestingly , the this carby was found in a 99 % late model self-service junkyard , in a heavy industrial area , they didn't get any papers with the rig so they had it kicked into a corner for a while until the yard apes needed to move a bunch of ruined roll off containers around and left it un covered ~ judging by the paint and remaining bits , I imagine it was a factory or shipping yard goat that never got much use and zero love . it still had the original shocks on it , I do wish I'da had the $ & time to grab the entire engine as never rebuilt units tend to be the very best for restoration work .

I'm working on the new (used) cab pix ! the guy isn't returning my 'phone calls .

To - day I repaired the trailer harness and bought a slab of plywood , my Son says he'll trim it by Friday evening , I hope to go pick up this cab Sunday , then I can take it 'round the body shops next week and get this next phase going .

I guess no one from the AD forum is looking over here as they're usually very interested in my projects .

4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I cannot answer for everybody else, but, I have to confess, I haven't been straying much from the AD column.
    I don't know why either, because the threads on these other year trucks are just as cool.
    You know, I like all the Chevy truck models about the same. Well, maybe not the rust-bucket "73-'87s. I liked them too, untill the one I had rusted away. Dad still has a 67 C-10 in VERY rusty condition. He even offered to give it to me the other day, so I could use the old 283 in my 50. That surprised me because Dad was always "Steve, don't be hot-roddin' that ol' truck!!!"
    I'll probably go get it, you never know what the future might bring. It's got lots of good parts, Its just badly rusted.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

'67 ~ '72

FWIW ;

Those ' Square Body ' '73 ~ '87's were the very last true GM trucks in spite of the tin foil steel used on the bodies .

I'd go grab Pops old truck , here are cabs , fenders and what not out there if you want to fix it , other wise 283's are getting scarce as no one bothered to overhaul/rebuild them for many years as it was cheaper to buy a 350 instead .

Yes , a 283 would be nice in your AD although I'd never do it .

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Postscript

I was looking at the carby on the truck when I bought it , the body is the correct '68 ~ '69 only one but it has the later model air horn on it so I scoured E-Bay until I found a correct 1969 C/10 250 / 292 CID auto tranny carby in Louisiana and bought it for a whopping $20 shipped to my front door ~ it too has the correct P/N stamped into it but it's pretty much untouched for decades and is all rusted solid ~ so I plan to take it apart and de rust it , cherry pick the best parts & hardware then assemble it ~ my truck runs *perfect* right now but the throttle shaft is worn and loose so I'll use this secondary carby once I get it done and still have a spare ready to go *correct* one on the shelf in my garage .

I also found a N.O.S. in the box manual choke version , fitted to the 292'a with manual tranmissions for only $100 but I forgot and it closed while I was napping , no other bids ~ I told they guy to re list it and he did , others found it and ZOOM went the price sailing past $100 .

Oops .

7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Nate, that sounds like what would happen to me on ebay. Good deal on the old core carb shipped to ya. I can burn alot of time just ramblin' around there.
    I've been looking at auto bid master (wrecks for sale by ins. co.) for a rear-hit late model SS Camaro. Just to see what they go for, as a donar car. Buddy bought a GTO with 6.2 alum block motor, then put it in a 59 Impala, a super, super straight one! He buys, sells, trades muscle cars that are WAY beyond my reach.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thank you Steve ;

I'm not overly computer proficient but I muddle along on E-Bay and even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut.... ;) .

I'm off to try and post photos of my new (used) C/10 cab , I visited the paint shop to - day wit my iPod thingie and snapped what I hope are some good pix .