Frame Swap??

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by jwill1756, Feb 6, 2014.

1. jwill1756

jwill1756 Member

I bought 69' c-10 in Oct. last year.
    I'm having to do an off frame resto and think I would really like to do a frame swap.
    Any suggestions of what year model I could or should use?
    Thanks

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Input

Need a bit more before the guys here who do rebuilds and frame swaps can give good info :

What is wrong (if anything) with the current frame ? .

What do you want to do with the finished truck ? .

These are *very* good trucks , the entire frame is much better than most current 1/2 tonners as it was made to work and work hard .

It's simple and cheap to upgrade to disc brakes and the handling is good now and gets better cheaply .

The bodies are the weak point as GM cheaped out and used low quality steel that was far too thin and then they did *zero* rust proofing as most trucks back then were worked to death and traded in in 4 ~ 6 years so who cared if it rusted away ? .

To make it a nice Hobby Truck all you needs do is rebuild it and add AC , PS & PB etc. , some really good gas shocks (Bilsteins , not silver KYB junk) and replace the rear trailing arms' bushings , maybe box them too .

Or , make it a show truck with air bags and modern suspension you can brag about but never use 1/10th of .

Your choice , figure it out and ask again the good folks here will happily he;p you to decide and then make it happen .

3. jwill1756

jwill1756 Member

Thanks, VWNATE1
    I've decided to keep the frame since i posted. gonna do a frame up restoration.
    6 inch drop 4" on rear 2" on front, with disk on front.