67 C20 Choke Issue???

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by dmaspups, Feb 18, 2014.

1. dmaspups

dmaspups Member

I am trying to make a daily driver out of my Grandpa's 67 C20. My Dad has put a ton of time and money into getting this old guy to run again, but every time he tells me its ready to go, I drive it home and the next morning have trouble keeping it running. I have to assume its user error. I think I may not be adjusting the choke correctly. I warm it up in the driveway for about 10 minutes before heading out. Problem is, every time I try to adjust the choke, I stall it out. Tips, anyone???

2. dmaspups

dmaspups Member

Update - YAY! Dad finally got all of the bad gas through the lines, and my truck is running great. I have even figured out how to use the choke.

Next - an exhaust repair, some new tires and a paint job (thank God for tax refunds).

Hope to post a picture soon.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Choke Use

Most of the time you only use the choke for actual starting then as soon as possible you ease it in so it remains on the fast idle (over 1,200 RPM) when you drive it off .

Often too small a spark plug gap causes poor low speed and idling , if points use .035" to .040" , if electronic ignition open those plugs up to .070" and feel the POWER .

Ignition timing has everything to to with ease of starting and off idle smoothness etc.

Glad to hear it's better now .

4. dmaspups

dmaspups Member

Nate,

Thanks - I will share your plug details with my Dad. The ole guy is still running good; getting a new stereo today. I finally found an old photo of the truck - my baby sister used to think it was a jungle gym - she is 26 now.

More pictures coming soon.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good Deal

I love the 'photo .