what brass spacer?

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by sapper, Sep 3, 2004.

1. sapper

sapper Guest

Has any body seen the brass spacer that is between the steering knuckle and the spindal on the 1971 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 truck, and it was only on one side? The passenger side.

2. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

HELLO JIM,

I'VE NEVER SEEN A BRASS SPACER USED BETWEEN THE SPINDLE AND THE STEERING KNUCKLE. TO BE HONEST I CAN'T PICTURE WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT AND I DON'T WANT TO STEER YOU IN THE WRONG DIRECTON. CAN YOU DESCRIBE THE SIZE AND SHAPE OF THE SPACER AND WHERE EXACTLY ON THE SPINDLE IT IS.
    ANYONE ELSE HAVE AND IDEA?
    IF IT IS A STOCK PART OR SPECIAL UPDATE, I WOULD SURE LIKE TO KNOW FOR MY BUSINESS SAKE FOR THE NEXT ONE I DO.

THANKS.

GOOD THINGS.

BRANT

3. chevy_man_3

chevy_man_3 Member

Hi, Yes I have seen it and it is very hard to find, but there is supposed to be one on each side. If you have a great partsman at your local Chevy dealer he might be able to locate one or two for you. My parts man found six of them at Obsolete Chevy Parts. But that was 8 years ago. The part # is 3979677.
    Hope that helps you. Vince

4. sapper

sapper Guest

Hey, chevy_ man_ 3 Do you know what the brass ring on the truck might be for ? which way it should go on ? or should i try and get another for the other side?

Thanx, jim

5. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

HELLO,

DITTO, I AGAIN WOULD LOVE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS SPACER.

BRANT

6. chevy_man_3

chevy_man_3 Member

Hi, It is a spacer that goes between the deflector and the bearing on the back side of the spindle. It's been a long time, but there should be a chamfer on one side that goes towards the axle tube.
    Vince