factory air on 71 chevy sb

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by GregP, Mar 4, 2014.

1. GregP

GregP Member

Anyone removed the underhood factory air componets ?

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

AC Parts

Are you looking for good used parts or what ? .

IIRC these used an R-6 Delco AC compressor , I'll be using a Sanden as I like cold air with less power loss , not a restoration obviously , just an old work truck .

I see many Hot Rods remove all the factory AC stuff , I imagine it's out there cheaply .

3. GregP

GregP Member

Factory Air

I moved to Oregon from Calif. I just never use the air con. so I am hauling around all that weight and turning the compressor for no reason. This will clean up the bb engine bay and I will install the ac delete panel and still have heat. I just want to know if anyone has done this and if there is any hidden problems.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

AC Removal

There's the issue of unwanted underhood air coming through the firewalls holes and the un used AC vents .

AC takes NO POWER whatso ever unless you turn it on and removing it reduces the value of the rig .

5. GregP

GregP Member

Unwanted air

Does air penetrate even with the ac delete panel? I don't plan on ever selling the truck and it is very far from a stock c-10 , so not too worried about value. 71 chevy bb + interior 002.jpg

tools-misc 008.jpg ATTACH]12697[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

AC Out

It shouldn't .

The is no factory AC Delete panel , they used different cabs but as long as the firewall holes are well covered you should be good to go .

I'm replacing my rusted away cab and got an AC cab to replace so I'm happy to be adding AC here in Sunny So. Cal. .

Nice looking rig you have there .

7. GregP

GregP Member

AC delete panel

I found this part on Classic Industries websight. Part # 14445 for $169.00 . According to them this should do the trick.

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Looks like a nice piece ;)

http://www.classicindustries.com/search/?q=14445

This AC delete cover for 1967-72 Chevy and GMC models allows you to remove your existing air conditioning evaporator unit while maintaining the heater functions. Delete cover is manufactured from molded fiberglass with a black gelcoat and is designed to mount to the firewall where the stock AC evaporator core and case are normally located. This cover will allow more space for large valve covers and headers as well as big block engines while keeping the heater unit intact.

[​IMG]

9. anthony j

anthony j Member

a/c

are you running headers on this set,up need to talk

10. GregP

GregP Member

headers and ac

Yes, BB with full length headers

11. GregP

GregP Member

hood or wheel well

Do I lower the wheel well to remove the factory air and heat firewall panel or the hood or hood hinge?:confused:

12. anthony j

anthony j Member

a/c work

hey gregp would it be cool to email me bout this set-up instead of going thru this thread lot of questions need to ask if its alright tony dago.1964@yahoo.com or 615.848.2133 thank

13. GregP

GregP Member

ac box

Was able to remove everything by dropping the wheel well. I did not have to remove the hinge.