A-m-a-z-i-n-g

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Apr 13, 2014.

1. coilover

coilover Member

Had lunch with a long time friend of mine that is a world known engine builder. He brought along a connecting rod and a piston to show me that had been PRINTED on a 3D printer. Both measured to within less than 0.001 inch for any dimension and was more than durable enough to test fit in an engine before having ones made from aluminum or steel. The rod even had printed 3/8-24 threads that a cap bolts screwed into with two fingers. Cost around $50 each and the machine shops love having a real 3D sample instead of blueprints. They are now developing REAL printed aluminum parts and sintered iron metal parts. Guess I just as well sell the lathe and mill.

2. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I've read that 3-D printed parts are becoming more of a reality these days. Not sure I'm completely sold on the idea yet... but I have to admit, paying $50 per piston is way more appealing than paying $175 per piston for my old ladder truck's V-12 engine. I'd love to know more about this, Evan.

Damon

3. coilover

coilover Member

Too good to be true Damon. The plastic samples for test fitting were $50. The real ones using the sample one as a guide are still pricey I'm sure.

4. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Evan, I'm gonna be in Ft. Worth for the Pate Swap Meet, April 24-26. Located between Petty Place, and Andretti Ave, on 7th Street. If you make the meet, come by and say Hi. I'm planning on driving my Yellow GMC. Of course, same goes for anyone else who may be there, come by :D Bill Brubaker

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Lazer Parts

Wow .

Please don't go selling out just yet Evan ,

The knowledge of how to run a Lathe is priceless and will never , EVER be obsolete .

6. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I read somewhere a guy could print-out a working plastic handgun that was fully functional. Makes me want one of those machines. It also makes the pansy lefties wet themselves.