swapping a big block into a small block truck.

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by stireson87, Apr 14, 2014.

1. stireson87

stireson87 Member

I have a 72 chevy long bed. It recently had a small block it was orignally a small block truck, I am getting ready to put a big block in it, my question is do i have to switch the frame motor mounts or will the factory ones that are in the truck now work. Also my other question is will i have to change front springs I have seen listed big block front springs listed in the classic parts parts book. If anyone has info on the subject please let me know before i put the motor in and find out the hard way thanks everyone.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I Have No Idea

But , I *do* know that the top quality MOOG brand coil springs automatically come in the big block spec. , making things difficult back in the day when we'd replace the front coils in any old I6 powered truck :rolleyes: .

They're usually the cheapest too , made in AMERICA too .

Please post pictures and details of how you get this done .

I assume you're rich to be able to feed that beast :D .

Not many choose to go the big block route anymore , the engines are dirt cheap but no one can afford to feed them .

Carby or E.F.I. ? .

3. stireson87

stireson87 Member

hey man thanks for the info, My only other concern is if the factory frame mount, motor mounts will work, my dad and i have done some measuring and it looks like it will set and be in the same place as the small block or it least very very close so there should be no clearance issue with my set up i have now. And i will take pics, i have pics of when i pulled my old wore out 350 and put a built .30 over 350. I have it in my truck for about a year and came across this sweet deal of a big block i could not say no. I am running a carb I tend to stick with the old stuff. But rich i am not lol this baby is a toy so it does not see much of the road.