Cloumn shifter wont!

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by lutz, Mar 14, 2006.

1. lutz

lutz Member

The truck is a 67 C10, three speed with a cloumn shifter.
    Over the coures of time this thing has developed a nasty habit of locking up. I need to open the hood pull up on the shifter rods to unlock the linkage. This is to the point where it is almost undriveable. Where do I get parts to rebuild the linkage?
    What's the fix?

Lutz

2. JOHN66

JOHN66 Member

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE LINKAGE: BENT ,BROKE,OR JUST WORN OUT. IF YOU WANT TO TRY SOMETHING USE ENGINE ASSEMBLY LUBE ON THE MOVING PARTS AND TIGHTIN THE BOLTS AND SEE WERE THAT GETS YOU.

3. lutz

lutz Member

Its wore out. Linkage is not bent, or broken. truck has 75,000 honest miles on it but this problem has been getting slowly worse.
    I have used wheel bearing grease, but I think the various parts are not getting past each other. When it locks up, the shifter is in neutral, whith the trannie in most any gear. The problem is most likely to happen when shifting to second from frist. I need to be really slow about the shift, being very slow with the shifter.
    Lutz

4. lowrollin70gmc

lowrollin70gmc Member

I had this same problem with my floor shifted 3 speed, requiring jumping under the truck to fix. What my problem was that the shifter wasn't aligned just right to where on a 1-2 shift it would pop out of the linkage leaving me in a gear.

The problem for me was a crappy shifter that wouldn't align. I would try lining up the shift arms first. Also, a trick I learned is to take the caps of laundry detergent, make them into washers and place between the shift arms and your tranny case. These keep the arms from binding at that location and help them slide past a rough case.

That's my immediate thoughts and I'm running short on thoughts today.

5. kory_kneeland

kory_kneeland Member

Kory A. Kneeland
    '70 C20

I looked and couldn't find the parts at a glance for you in the places I check first. I had the same problem with a 71 Bronco I restored with a 3 spd. column shifter - from first to second. The problem is with cloumn shifters that the linkage is so stinkin' long, with so many angles, that after use they just get too loose. I ended up going to a custom Hurst floor shifter and was super glad. But, I know what it's like to not want to buy a big project - so try www.fillingstation and their links. I didn't find it in their catalog, but give them a call - they might have a referance for you.

6. sidewynder

sidewynder Member

My 71 did the same thing, went to a floor shift. Another thing to consider, How are your cab mounts? worn or missing mounts will also put the linkage in a bind.

7. wizzard69

wizzard69 Member

I HAD the same problem with my 69 chevy panel 3 gear on the tree. My friend hand made the bushings that go in the shifting arms to the trans and NOW works wonderful never hangs up. My truck has a honest 180K on her and we found out the arms was starting to oval out and we caught it just in time.This a complaint I hear all the time with 3 on the tree doesn't seem to matter which brand of the big 3 they foul up with age. I am VERY lucky to have a guy whom makes parts if need be. Anyway newe bushings may correct this problem sure did get me shifting right again!:7