1952 GMC 3/4 Ton Brakes?????

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Wolf, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Zig

Zig Member

I don't have a clue~

I think I have "huckleberry brakes"...:rolleyes:
    I couldn't tell the difference between the two, but I'm sure there is. My brakes have a pin at the bottom with two arms that go out either way. These two arms sandwich the shoe at the bottom and are held at the top with a spring that pulls them up snug with the wheel cylinder. The drums themselves are ribbed... ...don't get me started...
    I did have these turned. As I say, all parts are still W-A-Y new, even though they've sat for well over a year now...
    You can even have my remaining to split rims!:D (and chrome lug nuts!)

By the way~ That church, St. Ann's, is where I went when I was growing up. If my folks hadn't dragged me there when I was a kid, I'd be dead right now. I have no doubt that going there, and finding out about God, saved my life. As a teen, I was so lost. You can probably still hear my troubled spirit in the wind that mournfully resonates in the large foyer that faces west. That church is forever in my gratitude!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  2. Wolf

Wolf Member

yeah sounds like huck brakes. I would love to get those parts from you. Someday i would like to have front disks, but for now, i just wanna drive it. :D I could come down and pick up the parts as soon as tommorow evening. Just send me an email if you would like to set something up for a time and moneys and all that good stuff.

email: bwolfy_53@hotmail.com

Thanks
    b

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

After You Get What You Need ,

If there's a servicable parking brake cable , I REALLY need it......

TIA ,

4. 3/4 gmc 1952

3/4 gmc 1952 Member

restarting this thread

As i have demonstrated i am totally new to this restoration business and was hoping to stimulate some more talk on brakes. I have been looking all over for parts to swap out to a 1/2 ton setup but am coming up short so where are people finding 3/4 ton parts now? Are your brakes still holding up those of you that haven't made the switch to discs? My truck came with a power boost master and i would like to make the most out of it. Any tips? Thanks and please forgive me for bringing up a long lost thread.
    jason

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Brake Parts Suppliers

Jason ;

NEVER apologize for asking for help ! (that's what Brand 'F' guys do : apologize constantly :rolleyes: )

Posting where you're located is always going to get you more responses as locals like to help locals... maybe put your state in your ID box .

Anyways , try your local NAPA store , the useless pimple crushing boob behind the counter has books he can look in that will have everything you might need and good quality too , if not the cheapest .

Or , try RockAuto.com , they have good stuff and you can set it up so they'll ping you whenever they get in random parts for your particular vehicle ~ EX : my Mercedes , they got in some front brake discs @ $10 each ! wow .

I hope this helped .

6. Jerryc107

Jerryc107 Member

Hello, I have a beautiful 3/4 tone 1952 GMC pickup . Does anyone know where I can get some 3/4 tone hubcaps. I running it with Chevy caps now.

7. Wolf

Wolf Member

Jerry, welcome! Now that you are here you first have to start a thread and post pics up of your truck. Especially since its a manly GMC 3/4 ton;)

I got my hub caps at Jim Carters here in Kansas City.
    http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/

8. Zig

Zig Member

If you're running split rims, I got two~ They clean up pretty nice and hey are originals. They won't fit my 6 lug replacements by any means.

9. mikec4193

mikec4193 Member

Hey Wolf

I am new on here but I found some of your posts and I am loving your truck and the way you have kept it basically stock in configuration. I about to take delivery of 1 ton from New Mexico to beautiful downtown upstate NY. I think I want to keep mine as stock as yours is. I will be stopping by here more to see how it turns out.

I am learning tons from you guys on here.

Thanks for posting your journey on here.

MikeC

10. Wolf

Wolf Member

Mike that is awesome! Charles has a 1 ton like yours as well. Glad to help someone out! I don't know much about these trucks except what I have learned here and just doing the work. If I can figure it out you will be fine trust me;)

When you get your truck start up a new thread with pics. Why because we love pics of old trucks!!

Welcome and glad to have you on board. Its a great place to hang out