Just getting back into AD trucks

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mikec4193, Jan 27, 2014.

1. mikec4193

mikec4193 Member

Hi Everyone

I was brought over here from the oldwillysforum, I am looking at getting back to work on another AD style truck. Below the is the one I currently have. That picture was taken the day I pushed it outside in December of 2011. I pushed a 1947 Willys Jeep into it's place.

This next project I am hoping to keep much more stock than this one above turned out. I think I have found a 1 ton 1951 Chevy truck. It appears to be a complete and sorta running too. I have been learning tons on here. I was watching some of the S10 swaps too as I am doing one those but with a Willys Overland truck body. You guys are really impressive with the stuff you are working on. Hope I can fit in somewhere here.

[​IMG]

MikeC

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  2. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Welcome. These guys will fill you with vast amounts of knowledge and advice. They only ask (beg) for lots of pictures in return.

3. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

MikeC,

Welcome to the forums! Cool looking truck you have there. Can't wait to see more photos of it and the one-tonner you're looking at.

Damon

4. smfulle

smfulle Member

Mike's jeep is pretty cool too! Hi MIke.

5. mikec4193

mikec4193 Member

HI Everyone

I sent the money order out on Monday to Indiana for the truck...cant wait to get it home...I want to get the glass back in it first....collect a 1/2 ton front axle and an 4WD S10 rear end....oh yeah..dual master cylinder too...

Guys did I say I love patina...you wont see any real paint on this truck...it is what it is...old and smelly...I can smell it already...:)

Vroom vroom vroom

MikeC

6. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Sounds great, Mike! Can't wait for you to get the truck home and start digging into it so you can make it yours. Don't forget to post pictures. We LOVE pictures!! :D

Damon

7. mikec4193

mikec4193 Member

[​IMG]

Here is Howard Knapp, that is what I call him at least. Per a VIN search it is a 1 ton build in the Kansas City GM plant in Dec but the model year is a 1952. So I think I will (when that time comes) register it as a 1952.

[​IMG]

Here is the other side...both sides have lots of bullet holes...I will be MIG welding them closed...spraying lots WD40 on it and I have been given 6 regular steel wheels (8 luggers) which I bolted 4 of the best on it...it got put under a lean too type structure until I get the 1962 Willys truck S10 swap done..I am really happy with it so far...cleaned the cab out too..lots of animal stuff inside..
    Oh yeah it even has a lift mechanism on it...and a factory brake booster as well...
    MikeC

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard Mike, enjoy the ride while here.
    Good to see another 3800 being saved and thanks for the photos.

9. coilover

coilover Member

Mile,
    PLEASE don't use WD 40 (or Amorall) on anything that even MIGHT see paint of any kind for any reason. Kroil is so much better without as many bad side effects. Just typing the first sentence here makes me feel as though I need to scrub my screen with lots of degreaser and a gross of clean towels. One of our toughest shop trucks was a 53 1T with a 9 foot bed.

10. mikec4193

mikec4193 Member

Hi Coilover

Thanks for the insight....I use lots of kroil on my most of my projects...I rarely use paint unless I have to grind the metal back to the shiney stuff....WD-40 will be used just to preserve it until I can get in the garage with its own stall.
    I will be using this as a work truck. I have gotten rear fenders and a tailgate too for when the time comes I will be building a 9 foot long box that I am thinking I will mount right onto the tilt bed as it sits on the truck now...currently I am working on getting some lower gears for the rearend. I found one about half an hour from my house. Hoping the price wont be too high tho. From what I have read these gears from a 67-72 3/4 ton Chevy truck rear end the gears will swap out with-out any modifications...

Still mulling over front brakes and any upgrades to that system that I will be needing...any insight would be great....

I cant wait to get inside.

MikeC

11. ccharr

ccharr Member

For the rear-end if you have the 514/1 third member you should be able to find a 410/1third member which will exchange without any modifications to it. You may already have the 410/1 and if it is to slow then go find a something lower than the 410/1 so you can move along at 60+ mph.

12. mikec4193

mikec4193 Member

Hi ccharr

That is the part I am currently trying to find. The ever elusive ho72 rear end gears out of a 1967-72 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup with an automatic. From what I have read those gear sets are a direct bolt in swap. If any body here has a set I would be very interested in purchasing them. I am looking for anything that is 4.10 or lower if possible. the rear end I have in this truck right now is 10 bolt with 8 lug wheels.

Once I have that gear set I will sleep easier knowing that I will be able to take this out on the interstate highway system and run along at 55 to 60 mph...without it sounding like it wants to blow.

MikeC

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  13. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Interesting hood ornament on this truck, too. Anyone recognize it as a particular manufacturer of aftermarket parts?

Damon

14. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

Hood ornament

48 chevy fleetmaser?

15. mikec4193

mikec4193 Member

Hi Everybody

Never even thought about the hood ornament thing...I thought it was a normal AD style hood (maybe like an option). I kinda like it. I think I am going to keep it.

MikeC

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Big 'Bolt

I await further developments .

17. pmoron

pmoron Member

Nice truck!

It's great to see another one ton guy on here. I love mine :)