Re-wire $

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ccharr, May 14, 2014.

1. ccharr

ccharr Member

What is the usual cost charged to re-wire an AD with one of the many wiring harness's out there? :confused:

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Turn key, I charge around $1500 to $2000, depending on what options and harness you go with. I can rewire one of these in about 3 days or less, depending on what extras are done. That being said, I have an It's a snap in mine with the mini fuse block. I have done E Z Wire, Rebel wire ( in a Pantera....PITA!) I am really liking the American Autowire setup now. I have one for the '41 and one for a 57 Task force.

3. Wilki

Wilki Member

What was the Specific E Z wiring product did you use? The 12 Standard looks like what I would need. (Not adding alot of accessories)

4. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks Russ for the info. I had paid some folks to rewire mine and I keep finding cloth. This time it is in the steering column, and while I was at it I found the wire going to the cab light is cloth. So today when I took the truck to them to fix the short in the horn, and while they are at it fix the LEDs to work I explained the cloth should not be there, fix the short but I already paid for the new wire. At first I thought I had paid to much for them to re-wire but with inflation the price is about what you stated. Thanks Again.

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I have the 22 circuit in mine, have installed both. The smaller one is fine for stock trucks, more than you will need.

There is a good bit of time in the install, to do it right. I use raw terminals and heat shrink every connection, also solder all joints.

6. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

From what I have seen posted of Russ's work, if you let him do it, it will add too much class to a truck that gets used more go than show. That being said, if I was going to pay someone, Russ is at the top of my list.

7. coilover

coilover Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Speedway 12 circuit harness ($145) for plain trucks or their 20 circuit ($165) for ones with all the bells and whistles. Wires are the same gauge as the pricey ones and are color coded and labeled every 6 inches as to where they go. That said, I never use a pre-made harness as I don't go for instructions saying to "coil up un-used wires" or "lay out on floor and run this bundle to the front", etc. I want each wire to run from its starting point to its destination with no sag, stretch, or loop. I don't know what I will do when my stock of fine strand soft American wire is depleted because I hate the hard springy Chinese stuff.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Re - Wiring

Russ ;

There should be plenty of good Surplus American made wire for the next 100 years or so....

I got too lazy to make any more scratch harness' so nowadayze I use the basic stock harness and scratch add any radio sub harness necessary , I see no need for all the extra complications of EZ-whatever harness , the original wires worked fine for over 50 years so why change ? just use the earlier version with the multiple fuse fuse box and you're good to go .

There are snap in circuit breakers to replace the fuses if you want breakers .

Made by Cole - Hersee in many different amperage ratings .