Papa.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, May 13, 2014.

1. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Just laid my 94 year old grandfather to rest today. He was a man of service, to his country, (Navy, ww2), his community, his church, his wife ( nursed grandma through Alzhiemer's for 15 years without complaint), and his Lord. A true MAN.
    There are so few left. I can only hope to be half what he was.

2. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

Sorry

Sorry for your(and our) loss. There is so much history, wisdom, kindness, memories, stuff that can be learned from a Man like your grandfather. I really do believe we need to honor our elders much more than our modern world does. Take care, rod

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Sorry to learn of your loss. Sounds like a great guy. And thank you for posting this.

If you're like me you'll still see him, in your relatives, and in the way you see and do things.

They may not be here in body, but they'll always be here in spirit.

Got any of his stuff hanging in your shop and/or your house?

I have my paternal Grandfather's western saddle in our family room, and my maternal grandparents oil lamp that they converted to electric. I talk to these items on a regular basis.

John

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Sorry for your loss!

Russ, sorry for your loss! I hope Wyatt had the opportunity to know and love his great grandpa! The older I get, the more I realize just how much I know because of my grand parents! To know their parents and others of their generation has to be priceless!

5. ccharr

ccharr Member

Sad to hear of this Russ, Grandpa's it seems are hard to see go.

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

In 8th grade, as he was getting ready for school, his father told him that his schooling was over, he had to go to work. He never felt any bitterness or remorse, even when the other younger kids got to finish. He read constantly and was a smart man, educated in the real world. I always marveled at his inventions....simple things that served their purpose. He worked for Southern railroad restoring and repainting trains. He was a small farmer...25 acres of crops and cows. I intend to restore his 53 Ford Golden Jubilee tractor which he bought new. I only have a 1/2 acre yard, but that aint the point.
    I have never heard ANYONE say anything negative about him....probably the only person I could say that about.
    The man had the patience of Job, I never saw him loose his temper.....but Dad says he made Papa mad a few times.

Papa told you exactly what he thought about anything with no regrets.

I remember as a little boy always wanting to go see the cows. He would load us up in his little blue Datsun 620 with the red door, Later the 70s C10 Chevy, bounce down the old dirt rut road and chase the cows up from the creek bottom for us to see. As an older kid, we would sit on the tailgate and drag our feet in the dirt as we drove down there.

Papa's take on facial hair: " I wouldn't cultivate around my mouth anything that grew wild on my backside."

He set the bar pretty high for the rest of us.

7. The Hill Boys

The Hill Boys Member

Respects sent. He sounds like a great man. It's obvious that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

8. 52wasp

52wasp Member

May he rest in Peace. As long as you keep him in your memories and stories, he will live on forever.

9. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

So Sorry for your loss, Russ. It's hard to lose the older generation, as they know so much that we will miss. Keeping You and Your Family in my Prayers. Bill Brubaker.

10. Chiro

Chiro Member

loss

I'm sorry for your loss, Russ.

Andy

11. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Condolenses

Russ and famely

Your grandad must have been a great person representing a generation of hard workers and taking care of his famely. I am glad on your behave that you have such good memories about him. As i understand a great personalety that has learned you a lot about the world and about practicall living. I think its ment that these values are to be passed on to the next generations as people are Connected to one and eachother.

My thoughts are going to you and Your famely.I wish you all the best.
    Martinius.

12. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

You must be at least half the man that he was, because you are able to recognize the traits that made him the respectable man he was. May he live forever in your thoughts.

13. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I'm very sorry for your loss, Russ. Just like the other fellas said, it sounds like he was one helluva man. Both of my grandpas died before I was born, but I've heard many stories about each of them. I would've loved to have known them. Sounds like you were blessed with one of the best to learn from. God Bless you and your family, and may your granddad rest in peace.

Damon

14. Zig

Zig Member

Cool story, Russ. In the end, memories are what we have and what we leave. It's a comfort to have good memories because I believe they help us try a bit harder when we otherwise may not want to. Condolences to you and your family.

15. coonkka

coonkka Member

so very sorry to hear about your loss. Prayers for you and your family. And just think he is in Heaven with the great almighty and his wonderful wife. HAPPY forever

16. coilover

coilover Member

Russ,
    I will be 78 on my next birthday so many people close to me have passed on. It never gets easier and always leaves a void. You are blessed that he left so many good memories and positive influences on you. I know you feel a great warmth to have had him in your life but it still hurts. Condolences;
    Evan

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Russ ;

Thank you for sharing how special this Man was , as you said he was a Man among men and that's more important than many realize .

You're carrying his teachings forward and teaching us by example and deed , I think you for this .