Need Advice on Primer and Paint

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by Tim Stines, May 7, 2014.

1. Tim Stines

Tim Stines Member

I am currently working on my 1956 Chevy 3200 series, and im needing advice on the type of primer and paint advice, I'm doing this project myself and its my first restoration, I have little to no experience with paint and primer and im just looking for some pointers my dad has the proper equipment to paint with its just that I'm nervous since its my first project and im doing the best that I can I'm not expecting it to be perfect but would like it to turn out better than expected, I know how to do the body work I have plenty of experience with that but I plan on painting the truck black and red would like to do kind of a two tone if possible any advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated it will be awhile before I get to the painting stage since I'm currently sanding and fixing what little things need fixed but the truck is very solid and has very little rust in the mean time I can practice painting and applying primer to other objects, also what is the best away of painting the engine compartment?

Thanks
    -Tim

2. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Paint and stuff

I'm no expert but here's what I've learned so far working on mine. Use a good epoxy primer coated with a sandable primer for final blocking and then top coat with whatever stage system you want to use, ie. single stage, two stage. I would recommend doing some trial parts using base coat and gloss top coat. Also recommend you stick with the same manufacture's product lines. PPG, Eastwood, or Sherwin Williams. Get to know your local supplier and ask for gun setting and reducer advice for your local. Best of luck with your project.