Band Around The Starter

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Haasman, May 25, 2014.

1. Haasman

Haasman Member

Purchased a rebuilt starter that came with a silver band around it.

Questions-
    -should this band stay on it? To protect the starter?
    -This band is held together with a tab but also piece of tape that is slightly better, it looks like, than a bandaid. Any better way to keep this band closed (if needed)

Haasman

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. federale

federale Member

There should be a hole for a screw and nut to hold this together. Its there to keep water and dirt out of the brushes.

3. Haasman

Haasman Member

Thanks. I'll make that setup.

Haasman

4. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

Band Idea!

That band, as federale indicates, is another super idea that these old starters and rigs have...yes, it is to keep everything clean and to also keep it very easy to check things out. With the starter on or off you can pop that band and check if water, mud, turning, broken things, brushes, and armature or to certain extent wiring...you can even see the sparks of the brushes working... anyway as I remember it.

Once it is on that band should not fall off...it locks on itself and at times kind hard to get back on, but not impossible. I don't think I have ever spent more than a couple of minutes getting it off or on with a screw driver and pliers.

I think it is another of the super ideas of the past. I did not notice any other wires going off of your power stud? Do you have a different source?

rod

5. Haasman

Haasman Member

Rod

Thanks for the background on the starter. It does have something great ideas/features lost to "modern technology".

Your observant eye has revealed my process in restoration. Coincidently I was just talking with my son about what else attaches to the the positive terminal on the starter.

So what also goes on this terminal. (Its been several years since I torn it down to the frame) and I don't recall all the connections.

Haasman

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

That typ of brush band needs NO screw / nut .

The main power lead for the entire truck also connects to the hot terminal on the starter .

Don't leave the battery cable in that postion , turn it so it's 90? .

7. Haasman

Haasman Member

Nate- no I won't leave the starter cable in that position. It's just loosely attached. Thanks for the reminder.

.....And it doesn't have my yellow paint dab on it (indicating a bolt has been tightened and checked) Have to do this because I am not working on the truck consistently. Its my piece of mind that everything is tighter and correct.