LWB vs. SWB ?

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by hurst1, Feb 5, 2006.

1. hurst1

hurst1 Member

Need some advise, I have a 1972 cheyenne super 2wd one owner 54,xxx but all those miles were on a farm and lots of cow shii underside so the floor rockers and bed are gone pretty much we are working with a cab whats left of it, BUT I came across this 72 c/10 delux air cab, runs great, the bed is perfect no body work and it does not look like enyone has ever hauled in it,we are putting a built 454 in the super, but heres the problem, i'm building this for my wife now she wants a short bed, will I kill the vaule of this truck if I have the frame cut down and put a swb which i have found, or should I put the lwb on this and keep it org. as far as the body goes, I just want to know what someone else might do THANKS

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

The frame on the long bed will need to be sectioned in the middle in front of the rear axle. You can't just wack off the back of the frame rails to mount a short bed on it....

Advice, if the wife wants a short bed ? Give her a short bed ! Salvage what is reusable from the long bed and swap it into the short bed.
    The difference between the two is the bed length and the wheelbase length. Everything else, cab, fenders, glass, etc etc,, will swap easily between the two.

DVal

3. hurst1

hurst1 Member

Hey thanks for the reply, I have a body man thats going to do it all when we make up our minds, but i'm concerned that we are messing up a org. truck and going to have somthing thats not worth a thing when we are done, if the frame is done right will this truck be worth as much as if we had let it stay a lwb, we are new to all this, so eny help would be great

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I would not worry about the " worth " factor. Generally the short beds are more "desireable" and could possibly get more on resale.
    But there are die-hard longbed folks that would not have it any other way.

Why not just keep the short bed and work on restoring that one, and sell the longbed ?

5. hurst1

hurst1 Member

RE: LWB vs. SWB ? 1972 cheyenne su

Well i think i have found a swb, if enyone whats to know what i've got check my ad out on ebay item number 4611162113