Rear end swap options.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Sethmark, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Sethmark

Sethmark Member

Rear end question:
    I'm currently running a 72 Impala 12 bolt in the rear of my AD. I realize it's fairly strong and desirable, but there are a few things making it less so to me. First, it's a 2.72 ratio. I just came off the road from 1000 miles of hot rod magazines power tour and the 2.72 is nice, but I need to put a little more to the ground. I don't go 80 in her, so a 3.08 or 3.42 would be nice.

Second, it's 5 on 5 and the front is 5 on 4.75. Driving me nuts.

So... Is the 4x4 S10 rear the best option? Regearing and changing axle shafts and drums will be expensive compared to a junk yard replacement. I don't mind cutting and welding perches, so my principle concern is width and ratio.

Thanks!

2. fielddad

fielddad Member

I used a 69-72 A body and 3.75 offset wheels it has a very nice fit. Had to cut off the link brackets and weld on perches for my OE leaf springs.
    This is what it looks like.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  3. Sethmark

Sethmark Member

The cutting and welding is the easy part. The locating and choosing is the part I struggle with. There aren't a lot of junkyards around me worth their salt.

4. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

A couple of links I saved when researching rear end options. I found locally a 10 bolt from a TransAm/Firebird, 3.08 gears, that already had disc brakes too. I want to say it was a '79 or '80. Cut perches, welded on new ones. I want to say the difference in width was about 1/2"?? It was close.

http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/rear_ends.htm
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/whats-the-best-rear-end-swap-for-a-54-chevy-truck.93393/

Attached Files:

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I have installed 2 Colorado rears....6 lug.3.70, stock wheels need a thin spacer to clear hub center.
    99 Impala SS....disc brakes. 3.08, may need a small spacer depending on wheels.
    Camaro/ Nova, etc. 5 lug, many gear options.
    S10 4x4....good fit, 5 lug.
    90 Lincoln town car.......8.8, 3.08, disc brakes, 5x4.1/2 , fill the fender with a stock steelie, first rear in my truck.
    95 T Bird IRS, currently in my truck, disc brakes, 3.08 limited slip.5x4.1/2
    2000 blazer 4x4 with disc brakes. 3.70. 5x4.3/4 lug

I know all of these fit as I have installed them.

Where are you located?

6. Sethmark

Sethmark Member

I'm in Florence sc. Not far at all. The hard part for me is finding a rear axle in this one horse town. Since I'm changing bolt pattern, I can easily change the backspacing.

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Dave Ackerman is in florence - on Indian, with a yellow 52. I was just there and we revived the old girl. We are going to do a 235 swap, t5, 4x4 s10 rear in the near future. I lived in Florence from 90-95 while at Francis Marion.

I used to deal with L+M out past S. Flo high. Talk to Roland, long faced fella dressed way too nice to be in a junkyard. The man can work a yard all day and not get grease past his elbows.

Pull a Part in Columbia is usually chock full of goodies.

Southern in Darlington went to a you pull it.

Take a ride up to Charlotte, I can take you to several yards.

8. Sethmark

Sethmark Member

Excellent. Thank you for the data. Seems that the existing rear is wide at ~64". I'm currently running a 7" wheel with 5" of backspace to accommodate the width. Ideally, I'd like to be a touch narrower, so the camaro/ s10 option looks desirable. I'll check your sources first and report back. Thanks!!!

9. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

sweet

sweet truck anymore pics of it?