Brake Conversion Advice

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by mechanic53, Jun 11, 2014.

1. mechanic53

mechanic53 Member

Hello! New to the forum, but have turned wrenches forever!

I own a 1966 Chevy Custom Camper C20 (8 lug). I am contemplating converting the brakes to four wheel discs. Obviously I want the system matched. Does anyone make a complete four wheel conversion kit? OR, can anyone recommend kits that will work together?

My reasons for change, and concerns are:
    1. Harder to find parts for the factory brakes.
    2. Desire for better braking performance, including longer brake life.

I would LIKE to convert to power brakes in the process. Currently mine are standard without power assist. This is a nod to my wife who will drive this also. (She says it is her second child).

I would LIKE to have larger pad surface area, something larger than D52 pads in the front would be preferred. Parking brake on the rear is a must. I assume Cadillac calipers w/ E-brake.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has done a conversion, as to comparative brake wear, new versus old brakes.

All advice will be very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance. Carl

2. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

3. mechanic53

mechanic53 Member

Thank you

Rich, thanks for the links. I had been looking at them. I guess my concern is if they are designed to work together. If I buy them separately and install, I am assuming that other parts will be needed (M/cyl., proportioning/metering valve). Being a retired mechanic, I know the importance of having things matched in a system. That is why I am seeking advice. I also want to know if a disc conversion might have longer brake service life as compared to the factory drum.

I am also considering using components from newer vehicles. I understand there are a few choices here. As a fleet mechanic, I know that the 86 C20 HD brakes last quite a while especially in city service. That is what I am aiming for. Any special hints?

4. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Sorry I don`t have the experiance with the c-20, only c-10, just thinking that the later c-20 swap would be the easiest off the top of my head....might also check with http://www.mpbrakes.com/ they were the first major brake company on the market offering kits....

5. mechanic53

mechanic53 Member

Thanks

Rich, Thanks again. I am sure that the mechanics between a half ton and 3/4 ton are the same, just a difference in scale. I am leaning towards the conversion from about an 86 model. That might do it.

In your experience with the half ton, does a four wheel disc conversion give better brake wear in addition to better braking?

6. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

I only know ( personally ) of two with four wheel disc, I`ve driven them both, stopping power does not seem any better than with disc / drum, as for wear, couldn`t tell you they are garage queens,...LOL mine is a dailey driver, still running drums all four corners just added power assit with dual master, I do know there is more brake fade with the drums in the mountain roads....:eek:

7. mechanic53

mechanic53 Member

Understand

Rich, I do understand. We will be going to another state where it is hilly terrain, so brake fade can be a consideration. That is why I am interested in either 4 wheel disc, or significantly larger drum brakes for more surface area to dissipate the heat of friction.

Have you or anyone else heard of installing a '71-72 1 ton crossmember and rear axle under a 66? That would give me the disc brakes, plus the 13 inch drum brakes. Plus, that would be an Eaton HO72 axle, which is externally identical (so it is claimed) to the HO52 axle I currently have. Transfer of other plumbing of course is needed. Getting a donor truck would be the best course in this case?

Any thoughts? From anyone?

Thanks, Carl

8. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Yes I have, but that was a few years back, entire one ton suspension under a 65 maybe 66 short bed c-10 with dualies....it will take a while I might find it..!