1954 five window..Where to start on the build?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Guero, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Guero

Guero Member

Just joined the group! I'm looking for a place to start on my 4 year old sons truck. I have an engine minus a few parts, getting a transmission from a friend out of a 65? Chevy pickup. The truck is stock as far as everything else..does have a camaro rear end but I'm changing that out to a six lug. I'm not sure which is the best fit. Any help is much appreciated and thank you in advance.

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride while here, have any photos by chance?

3. Chiro

Chiro Member

Hold on that, Babalooie!!!

Welcome to the group.

I WILL tell you that after driving my bone stock truck for five years, I swapped out the six lug, torque tube rear end in favor of a Camaro/Nova rear. It is one of the more desirable swaps for these trucks. Greatly improved the roadability of my truck. If you are concerned about having five lugs in the rear and six up front, a cheaper (and in my opinion better) way to solve that would be to install Speedway's front disc brake conversion kit which is the sam bolt pattern as the camaro rear and also vastly improves the trucks roadability. I just did both swaps over the winter and cannot begin to tell you how happy I am.

Just a word of advise.

Andy

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  4. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Welcome, did you say 4 year old? Well, that gives you plenty of time to get it finished. If you are wanting to drive it yourself, just start with the basic safety items first and get a feel for it. You are bound to shake out all the problems long before he gets behind the wheel. If you are wanting a full resto, just start taking it apart, but be sure to take lots of pictures and notes. The thread by Ol' Chebby at the top is extremely useful. https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=9530

5. Guero

Guero Member

Thank you for the welcome! I can get some pictures no problem. Thank you for the advice! I figured I would go with a six lug just because of the engine I have built. It was for a 72 monte but I want to cruise with my son! He knows it's his truck..I'm just doing the basics for reliability and safety.

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

To keep 6 lugs, look into an 06 Colorado rear. I have installed 2 of these in ADs and they fit well.

7. Guero

Guero Member

Good to know. Do you know if there is a Colorado frame that will fit? I hear the s 10 will.