TBI Engine Swap

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by Kp72chyensupr, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Kp72chyensupr

Kp72chyensupr Member

I am swaping in a 1992 350 TBI chevy truck motor into my 72 cheyenne. I have most of the particulars under control except for Fuel delivey. According to what research I have done, this motor wants 14-16Lbs of fuel pressure, but thats all I know about it. I am looking for tips on what type of fuel pump to use for this application. If anyone out there has done this before your help is greatly appreciated.

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Howdie,

You will need an electric fuel pump rated for the flow the TBI will need. A mechanical fuel pump is only rated at 6 lbs max.

DVal

3. Kp72chyensupr

Kp72chyensupr Member

Thanks for the input, but i guess i should have been more specific. I have found a frame mounted pump that comes with an adjustable regulator and even a guage that mounts on the regulator so fuel pressure can be easily monitored, but the one I found is also about $160, which is a little rich for what I had in mind. I am looking for a more economical approach to my situation. I may be dreaming, but there has to be a cheaper alternative that will do the job.

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

If you found a pump that can provide 14-16 lbs for $160 I'd say buy it !

I did a quick search of the pumps available through Summit and Jegs and the better pumps that can deliver that pressure were all over $200.

DVal

5. Kp72chyensupr

Kp72chyensupr Member

Thanks for your help again. I suppose this is the best way. I have swapped the 350 engine, 700r4 trans, wiring harnesses,computer, and a few other things from my donor vehicle over to my 72 truck, I hope to have it running soon. i still have to install fuel delivery, power steering lines( to be custom made ),and finish morphing the wiring from the donor to the wiring in my truck. wish me luck!