Engine & Vehicle I.D. Numbers

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by mplatfoot, May 5, 2005.

1. mplatfoot

mplatfoot Member

I am the proud new owner of a 1969 C-10 short box. I have a couple of questions regarding VIN Decoding and Engine Casting/Stamped numbers. My first question is, Can someone tell me how my VIN (CE149Z847005)decodes? The second is, I would like to know information about the engine that is in place. The casting number from the driver's side rear(bellhousing flange)is as follows: 3914678, and the numbers on the pad at the front of the passenger's side head flange are as follows: V0802HC and next to these numbers are 44780 or it could be 44790. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

2. chevy_man_3

chevy_man_3 Member

Hello your VIN is as follows:
    C- 2wd
    E- 8 cylinder
    1- GVW-1/2 ton or (3900-5800)
    4- pickup
    9- 1969
    Z- Fremont plant
    847005- the number as the vehicle came off the assembly line.

The other numbers I don't have my other book in town, but I think that the VO802HC is a car serial number, but am not sure.

Vince

3. mplatfoot

mplatfoot Member

Thanks for the information. Is there any other location on the vehicle that might give me information regarding engine displacement, transmission, body color, etc.? Thanks again Vince.
    -Mike

4. 58 chevy

58 chevy Guest

Yes on the glove box door.

5. chevy_man_3

chevy_man_3 Member

Hi again, I got my other book and the number on the bellhousing mount is for a 1968 - 1969 327 used in Corvettes, Camaros and other high performance applications. Hope this helps you out.

Vince

6. basketcase

basketcase Member

The 3914678 casting number 327 block was used in Corvettes but not the HC suffix. This must be a Camaro, Chevelle or Nova block.

Tom

7. GMCMC

GMCMC Member

Hello,
    I also am needing help from somebody with the decoding books. I have a 72 GMC half ton Sierra. I suspect the original motor was changed out sometime. The numbers on the front of the right head are VO324UBM, there is also CBF370633. I am unable to read the numbers on the back of the motor. If anyone can help me with these numbers let me know. If the back numbers are needed I'll have to get some younger eyes to try. :+

8. chevy_man_3

chevy_man_3 Member

Hi, I cant find the last numbers you gave, and the first set if the "m" wasn't on there, it would be a 307. but I can't tell you for sure, the back number would help more.

Vince

9. SPAL05

SPAL05 Member

Hi, recently joined and I am very happy the forum. I was reading over this one and I think I missed where you can find out the details of your motor w/ the block numbers. If some one wouldn't minde sharing where I could cind the info or if they happen to know off the top of their heead my block #s are 3970014. The one by the bell housing. Thanks

10. basketcase

basketcase Member

Welcome to the forum. Here's one of the best places to look up numbers.

http://www.mortec.com/

Tom