53 Newbie reporting for duty

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Plowdoggy, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

Hi everyone: Just got this 1953 out of Washington State. Pretty stock. Needs some love. I'm new to the culture but I have started to figure what I want to do. Replacing the rear end with a Patrick's 3.55:1 ring and pinion swap. I want to make it a daily driver. It's a three speed. Thinking about a front end clip. Dad says no but she bucks all over the place. I don't want a rod either. Just a nice drive, and local ride with my wife by my side, cruz'in down a lazy country road......
    Love all your opinions and articles.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

welcome

welcome to the board what a great truck you have there nice goodies under the hood too i would agree with your dad and not do a front clip .
    again welcome keep the pictures coming.
    Robert

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome Aboard, enjoy the ride while here, Thanks for posting those great looking photos of your truck.

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

No clip, but an M2 front end is great!

5. Zig

Zig Member

Weclome! (Another Chevy...)

I had visions of Nate's old truck looking at your pictures~
    Thanks for the photos! NICE looking truck!
    Did whoever that had it before you do a disc brake conversion up front?
    Not sure why it would be bucking all over the place. Tie rod ends loose? Shackles worn? Sway bar needed?
    I agree with the "no clip". Ol' Chebby can tell you all about M2 swaps, but really, you should be able to tighten up that original setup. Just start hunting.
    I'm loving all the goodies under the hood! :cool:

6. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

Thanks

Thanks for the great advice. I'm interested in that M2. What is it. Can you refer me to a link?
    Very appreicated.

7. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

Opps!! M2.... of course. There are no disk brakes. The front has single leaf springs. I think that is how they achieve the current stance. I do like the way it looks standing still but I want to drive it too. I really need to find a truck with an original front end that is set up optimally. I don't want to put a bunch into it only to ultimately go in another direction.

Thanks

8. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

Clip is off the table. To Restore or Modernize?.... that is the question.

9. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

restomod

both stock truck with some new updates

10. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

A stock front end in good repair......Yes, I just said that...... with a disc brake conversion from speedway, an s10 t5, a Colorado rear end and new brake booster make for a great easy driver. All of the equipment is hidden and allow for stock steel wheels. If you go for the 5 lug front conversion, use a 2000ish blazer 4x4 with disc brakes and get custom or 5 lug steel wheels.

11. coilover

coilover Member

A budget build that rides good, steers good, and stops good.
    Replace or renew king pins, tie and draglink rod ends, shackles and spring eye bushings.
    Use an under floor drum brake power booster.
    Put a Toyota 4wd P/S unit on it along with 4* caster wedges.
    Rebuild all springs with polypropylene strips between leaves.
    Good gas shocks all the way around.
    We have done trucks this way for 1/4 or less of any clip or MII setup and when ones with the clips or MII's ride/drive them they are amazed and often upset of what was done for a fraction of what they spent.
    Remember, drum brakes stop BETTER than discs for the first half a dozen close together stops. After the drums get hot you lose pedal height but unless you're pulling a trailer in the mountains or slalom racing it's not a problem. In very inclement areas (rain, snow, mud) disc brakes are self cleaning which is a plus.
    You stressed BUDGET but if that is not a set in concrete deal then disregard and go with IFS, open rear, 5sp trans, etc.

12. pmoron

pmoron Member

Tires as well.

Love the truck! I've found that wider tires can really ruin the way those old trucks steer. If you go with a skinnier tire up front, the improvement can be substantial.

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Welcome newbie !

Nice truck there , as mentioned it's easy and cheap to rebuild the various parts of the front end , Eaton makes very good lowering springs , I drive faster than most and do not lower but that's your choice .

Take the time to inspect (means : take all the way apart) the entire front end and repair / replace anything loose , lots and lots of DIRT CHEAP good used suspension parts from the Hot Rodders who went the clip route .

Then add the stock sway bar , you won't believe how much it helps until you install it .

ASK QUESTIONS ! the good folks here collectively know and have tried or done , everything , I've never been able to stump them yet .

Get rid of those front tires ! .

14. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

Thanks for the good words All. Nate what is it that you have there?

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

That's my old 1949 Chevrolet 3100 shop truck out on vacation in the Panamint Valley , by the Ballarat turn off (google it , far from home) ~ SWMBO and I were on our way to Death Valley for camping .

Built in the Oakland , Ca. assembly plant , it somehow made it's way to L.A. where I purchased it frim an ex con .

235 , SM420 tranny , 12 volts , unrestored , a very good truck indeed , I worked it hard and put it up wet for decades .

16. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

Very cool indeed.

17. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

new life

Now Nates truck has a new life and look .
    Go back some post and you can see truck( magna flow revolver)but the ol girl lives

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

My Old Truck

Yes , they ruined it .

One ugly aspect of Customs and Hot Rods is incredibly short life .

My truck worked it's butt off for 50 years , it'll be junked or broken for parts within 10 years , bet on that .

Sad but true :( .

19. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

How sad

Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Very dumb build. More money than brains. You know where he shoulda put that Magna flow.