intermediate fuel line?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mockoski, Aug 6, 2014.

1. mockoski

mockoski Member

I am currently doing work on my 53 chevy truck fuel system and when I search for parts through the various dealers, I keep coming across something called a intermediate fuel line. One site shows it in the tank and describes it connecting the sending unit to the main fuel line... So I am scratching my head..
    For the life of me I cannot figure out why one would need this. Can someone explain if this is a necaassry component and what it's actual purpose is for?

-
    James

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

3. mockoski

mockoski Member

4. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

It may look like its in the tank, but I think the picture is meaning to show that it is coming from the bottom of the tank, connecting under the cab to the other fuel line.

But the thing that is confusing me is that the filler cap is on the driver's side?? :rolleyes:

5. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

The '54-59 models omitted the fuel connection on the bottom of the tank and ran a line from the sending unit up through the top of the tank to help eliminate leaks, or at least prevent draining the tank because of a leak. This is why you have two different looks to the drawing. Our host has both types of sending units, and when you look at them it becomes clear.
    Bill B

6. mockoski

mockoski Member

Ah that makes sense. Thanks!

7. Tubby

Tubby Member

Its necessary, It allows for cab flexing.

Some add a fuel filter at that location .

[​IMG][/url]
    [​IMG][/url]

8. mockoski

mockoski Member

Good point thanks a lot.

9. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Nate and others here have commented that a fuel filter on the inlet side of the fuel pump is not the best place for one. It is better to put the filter between the pump and the carb. Being on the 'pressure' side of the pump allows more tolerance for the inevitable collection of debris in the filter. Bill Brubaker

10. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Or better yet, one between the tank and fuel pump & one between the pump and the carb.

11. Tubby

Tubby Member

Yes

I added one at the carb also
    [​IMG]

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Fuel Filters & Placement

I'm always stymied by why anyone would ever use a metal fuel filter that cannot be checked for clogging at a glance .

Adding the filter anywhere underneath the vehicle just means that sooner or later you'll be taking a gas bath whilst underneath the vehicle where it's the dirtiest it can possibly get .

A bit of fore thought here will make you *much* happier on that bad day when you get to fool with it as your Club Motors off into the twilight and SWMBO is sweating & fuming in the passenger seat and you're pi$$ed off because you know your $800 fabric covered new seat is going to suffer .

I have good reasons for the things I do the way I do them and offer specific advice .

YMMV , I'm just a cranky old fart etc. so feel free to do things the hard way .
    :p

13. Tubby

Tubby Member

mockoski

Didn't mean to steer your thread away from your original question.
    But yes you do need the hose.
    One end is 1/8 inch pipe the other is inverted flair to attach the the hard fuel line.

My experience is that a added fuel filter under the tank is a good idea. But it will need to be changed out . So if you don't have a working shut off valve or not comfortable changing fuel filters then it may not be a good idea.

There was not one there originally.

One has been under my tank since the early 70's

They do work . Here is a pic from a clear filter I used for a few months

[​IMG][/url]

It picked up some pretty big particles.
    That's with a new tank. So those particles came from the gas station pump.

I quit using that style filter and went back to a canister.

Even with that filter I added a second one at the carb.
    A few years ago I was experiencing some flooding issues.
    With the filter under the tank I was still getting small particles under the carb needle.

Since I added the second filter at the carb I've had not other issues.

Not fun to be stuck on the side of the road clearing a carb.

There are period correct clear filters that can be used inline.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014