New game of my truck

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by wokri, Aug 14, 2014.

1. wokri

wokri Member

Hello,
    my truck have a new game. If the truck has standing overnight and I start the car to drive the first miles comes a shaking from the rear end of the truck. After two miles the shaking is off, everything work fine.
    Anyone there who can tell me what can it be?
    Ask
    Wolfgang

2. pmoron

pmoron Member

Tire separating?

That's the first thing that comes to mind, anyway. Sometimes they can get better as the tire warms up.

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

What type of tires do you have? Radials or bias ply? I would agree with pmoron, and would add this:

My Dad bough a '72 C20 Pickup, brand spanking new. I was 11 at the time and got to ride home with him from the dealership. We got out of town and started to speed up and the hood looked like it was going to shake off the truck.

Dad drove it back to the dealership and they said the 8-ply bias ply tires were flat spotted from sitting so long and that once they warmed up the vibration would go away.

Sure enough, after we drove it a few miles it smoothed out.

4. wokri

wokri Member

Hello,
    tomorrow, if will no rain, terrible summer, I will take a photo and put it in this chat.
    May be the qualitiy of the tires are pretty bad.
    Until tomorrow.
    Wolfgang

5. pmoron

pmoron Member

Quality of tires

Flatspotting is a good suggestion as well. Pictures won't really show a problem though, the damage is usually internal. Best thing is just to take them in to get balanced. They'll be able to tell you then. Flat spots you might be able to feel with your hand, but that's a question for Lakeroadster.

6. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Feel the flat spot with your hand? Maybe, never tried that. I have bias ply tires on my Hot Rod Model T pickup. The flat spots usually dissipate after only a few miles of driving.

Again, are your tires bias ply tires or radials? How old are the tires?

Pictures will help!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Bias tire flat spots.

The first semi-tractor I owned in the 1970s had bias tires all around. They would bounce for the first few miles any time you stopped for very long. A veteran truck driver that I ran with alot told me to start the truck and move it about 1 foot either direction and wait for a few minutes. The pressure on the flat spot from moving the weight just a foot relieved the problem. I don't think I've had a bias tire since about 1982.

8. wokri

wokri Member

Here two photos. the tires came from Thailand. The problem was, as I bought the tires, that my local dealer couldn't get better ones.

Attached Files:

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Going by measurement, they are most likely bias. a set of radials will make that thing drive amazingly better.

10. wokri

wokri Member

Yes, surely, but I have the original wheels on my truck and the tire dealer said, the new tires want fit on these wheels.
    So I had to look, where I can buy here in Germany new wheels. I had an offer from a aftermarket dealer, but he will have per wheel 370 thats 495 $:confused:. I think thats too much for one wheel.

11. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Are those split rims?

12. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Yes, Russ, those are split rims. They are bias, tube-type tires purchased from Thailand. GOOD GRIEF, they are NEVER going to roll smooth.

13. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

It is very hard to find someone who is willing to work on split rims anymore.

14. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

15 inch tires and rims

Wow! at that price I could use carry-on and visit Hof east of Frankfort(an old childhood haunt). And my wife could carry two rims too.

Seriously, you should be able to find 15 inch radial tires. I just bought some 235-15's.....especially if they are still working on split rims over there. There are also differences in the split rims....like maybe 3 different kinds...one of them is not that bad to work on...but the others are.......oops, too late...Bye! If you have a friend with a demount thingamagiger, you could get good and fast at doing them...I remember years ago as a kid....we would tackle them easily, but not those false catch ones...dangerous!

So, check around...that 235 comes close to that 700 as far as height...I think. Although, I would run it out and see if the tueco is spun out of them.

rod

15. wokri

wokri Member

Hi Rod,
    I found a German dealer that offers 82 serie wheels 16" x 7 for 225 Euros for one wheel. I get information from a dealer in USA that the wheels will cost me incl. shipping 1010 $ to Berlin. So I had send them from Berlin to my home and pay taxes for wheels and shipping cost. So I calculated that will be the same price as I buy them from a German dealer.
    And now next desaster, tires that are extra ordinary because for classic cars will cost here in Germany 531 Euro per tirer.:mad:
    Getting terrible here.

16. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Don't forget the cost of the US air to inflate the tires.

17. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

Cost of Air in US

Funny you would mention the cost of air in the US...This to me was pretty sick, yet funny...and still trying to figure it out.

About six months ago, I had to get a couple of tires dismounted and mounted...so I went to Garci* Tires up in LV. The sign gave a price, so got it started...went to pay. The bill had some, and I think they worded it as "shop supplies" added on. I questioned them about the $4 each rim charge. The guy started gagging and the only thing he could come up with was that it was the air to fill the tire! There were no other supplies! I told him I would fill tire up at the gas station. He said that he had to charge it anyway. I caught them before they remounted the tires and gathered all my stuff and left...and am still shaking my head. Needless, to say I will never, ever, under penalty of death be stopping at Garci* Tires to get work done. Which was funny because a couple of months later I had a tire destroyed about a block or two from their place. ..........ooooowwwaaaahhhh....Karma.....Ha,Ha on me!

Anyway, wokri, You have said that they are 16" tires, but foto says 15" ???

rod