1947/48 Gas Tank

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Ed BROWN, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Ed BROWN

Ed BROWN Member

I have a 1950 chevy 3100. I am removing the gas tank from behind the seat.
    does any one have instructions on how to install the original frame mount tank, the one the filler neck comes out the lower side of the bed.

Thanks Ed

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I have a set of half-ton '48 frame-mount brackets and straps that I bought along with a used tank to put on my '52 3/4 ton. Turns out the tank was pretty wasted so I discarded it. Then I found out the 1/2 ton tank and mounting hardware won't fit into a 3/4 ton truck.

You can buy a replacement 47-48 tank from our host, but I don't think the mounting hardware is repopped. I'll sell you my set of straps and brackets for $50 + you pay shipping.

3. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Been thinking about it...

I realize this thread is a few months old. Bill, what did you end up using for the frame mounted tank and straps? I have a 3/4 ton as well and have just recently started thinking about relocating...

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I haven't moved my tank yet. My truck is a flat bed. My first choice would be the stock 3/4 ton tank and straps, but they seem to be made of un-obtanium. I also have space over the spare that I think is big enough for something like this.

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

A repro 55 chevy gas tank fits pretty well in the back of a 3/4 ton. I had one in mine. I believe I just hung it with stock style straps from the rear of the frame after adding a piece of square stock at the rear of the frame.

6. 2OR4Wheels

2OR4Wheels Member

Thanks Bill and Russ. Will have to do the measuring and see. Gives me a place the start.