2nd failed VR in Altenator

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Dougs55, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Dougs55

Dougs55 Member

Trying figure out why my voltage regulator keeps crapping out in mr 64 C10? I replaced the external VR with an Altenator that has a built in one. I have a lot of add ons like AC, stereo amp, powered sub and stuff but the altenator ia a 110 amp so it should pull all of this fine. What could cause my VR to keep crapping out?

2. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Doug I`m assuming you have it wired correctly but will post a image anyways, one other issue could be how good are your grounds, frame to block, block to cab and cab back to block. Your really at the top end of the voltage with the 110 amp alt, are you using a three wire alt...?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  3. Dougs55

Dougs55 Member

Guess I will double check all of my ground. I pulled the negative off of the battery and it dies. When I check the amps at the alt I have about 14.5 volts. Maybe I do have it wired wrong.

4. Dougs55

Dougs55 Member

Oh yea, I have the 2 wires that plug into the alt and the two red wires that come off of the post of the alt.

5. Dougs55

Dougs55 Member

If I am not getting power back to the battery from the altenator, what am I missing?

6. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Doug try this....easiest way to test the diode block while the alternator is still on the engine is to do an AC ripple test with a digital multimeter. Just start up the car, turn on the headlights to remove surface charge off the battery. This will force the alternator to switch on. Next set the meter to AC Volts. With the engine running put the positive lead of the meter to the "BAT" terminal on the alternator and hold it there. Then place the negative meter lead onto the negative post on the battery. If you get a meter reading of more than 1.5 Volts AC (1 1/2 Volts AC) the diode block in the alternator is bad and needs replaced. Its a real simple test that only takes a few seconds to perform. Hope this helps!

7. Dougs55

Dougs55 Member

Sorry about the slow reply, work is killing me! I will give this a try this weekend. On another note, I mentioned that I am not sure that I have wired things back correctly? Is there a seperate wire that should be going back to the battery to charge it? I only have the positive cable from the starter and the ground from the engine block going to the battery. My battery cables have the small pig tails coming off of the battery cable lugs so should there be a wire coming from one of the post on the solenoid going back to the positive side of the battery?

8. Dougs55

Dougs55 Member

Found the problem. It was wire lug on the solenoid that had broken all except one very small spot. Just enough to hold it in place but not enough to get juice back to the battery.

9. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Great Doug, sometimes its the obvious that eludes us,,,,!