Electrical problems

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by BlueJames, Aug 19, 2014.

1. john1

john1 Member

The bushing is actually a retainer that locks the circlip in the armature shaft groove. I've replaced a lot of starter drives over the years and I've never seen a Delco starter that didn't have one. I wonder if something else is going on?

John

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

If taking the retainer off really does "fix" the problem it sounds to me like the solenoid can't quite shove the starter drive far enough into the flywheel and maybe can't press hard enough on the disk inside the solenoid that completes the connection between two big posts on the solenoid.

3. oldbluetruck

oldbluetruck Member

Grumpy starters

48 chevy half ton 6 volt.

I thought it would be nice to switch over to key start. I have two starters and use an optima 6 volt battery. I found that the ignition switch for a 66 chevy half ton fits in the trucks ignition switch location and I can use my GM key.

However, one starter turns over slow and the other has the tendency to click once. I'm not sure what is going on. Does the 12 volt switch not work with a 6 volt system? I have a 10 gauge wire going to the solenoid.

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas

4. oldbluetruck

oldbluetruck Member

Sorry. I wasn't trying to high jack this thread. I thought I was starting a new one.

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Where did the solenoid come from? If it is a 12v solenoid it will not work correctly on a 6 volt system.