Pls Help with Charging System.

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by JohnIIIr, Aug 29, 2014.

1. JohnIIIr

JohnIIIr Member

Anyone able to assist in figuring out what is wrong with my Charging System? Posted a pic of the current Diagram as detailed as possible.
    Original style Ignition Switch
    Delco Remaned 60(something)Amp 10si, also posted a pic of the terminals functioning but not correctly only puts out 12.4-12.45V
    Also Yes good Battery, maybe 7 months old, trickle charged Batt goes up to 14V+

"Original"
    [​IMG]

Current
    [​IMG]

(oh also Blinker system I copied from 58-59 Vett)

*Edit* left out the part about the new Alternator being a One-Wire internal regulated, and the alternator I took out being 3-Wire Externally Regulated and it also wasn't working right
    (Nothing was when I got it)
    *Re-edited* new Current Diaghram

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  2. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

wiring

Is your regulator still in use? I have a '58 with a 350 in it. I also have a one wire alternator. My alternator wire goes straight to the battery. I do not like wiring at all, it is confusing and frustrating. I used VDO gauges and they have their own wiring diagram, used our hosts wiring harness and their turn signal switch. Somehow everything works.
    I did not use the old regulator, I don't think you need one when using an alternator. My system has been working ok for 6 years. If I remember right the hosts wiring diagram tells you to not to use the regulator if you use an alternator. That could be your problem.
    Looks like you have a V8 in your truck, most V8s distributor's use 12 volts.
    I certainly hope this helps.
    Gerald in Florida

3. JohnIIIr

JohnIIIr Member

Finally a reply, thank you. Sort of helps, the external Regulator is still bolted in place but not in use (figured its a good place to keep it from getting lost). Yes V8/350 and internally regulated One wire Alternator. Now your suggesting Alternator B+ Terminal straight to Batt. B+ post, Not through the Ammeter? Are you using a Voltmeter, no Ammeter?
    I can easily, try an attempt bypassing the Ammeter but it doesn't make sense that it could be the problem.

Today i wired it up...
    Batt B+ to Starter B+ to Ammeter -
    Ammeter + to Alternator B+ and Ign Switch/Fuseblock
    AS shown in newest Diagram "4.3"
    But still only charged up to 12.45 Volts...Until I shut it down and after a few minutes my DMM was showing Batt Voltage was 12.84
    So my mind is blown, no idea

4. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

wiring

Been a few years since I wired my truck, the gauges are VDO. They were wired to VDO specks and integrating that with the hosts wiring harness.
    I remember I couldn't figure out how to wire the alternator, so I had it converted to a one wire. I was pleasantly surprised the battery level meter worked properly. If I remember correctly the meter was wired according to the hosts harness diagram. One more thing that I did that made things a lot better, I added an extra battery ground wire directly to the frame, it starts better and the battery level reads a little higher now.
    Have you checked the volt level with a battery/load tester? Maybe your meter isn't reading correctly. As I said before, wiring drives me nuts. Good luck. There are others on this forum that are a lot better than me at this, hopefully they will respond.

5. JohnIIIr

JohnIIIr Member

HMMM interesting. Extra ground strap to the frame, From the block or from the alternator itself?
    I just finished pulling off the alternator and brackets and sanding the paint off shiney and clean metal to better ground to the block. Tomorrow I plan to get it load tested at the Orieleys then reinstall it and give it another go.
    I feel confident the better grounding surfaces may fix it, cause I did do a nice job painting up the brackets.
    Ill report back tomorrow, thanks again

6. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

ground

The new ground wire is bolted behind the hex nut that tightens the original type of battery strap to the battery post, from there it goes to the frame. The original type of ground strap goes from the battery post to the firewall. There is another original type of ground strap that goes from the engine to the firewall. Grounds are as important as the positive side of a system.

7. JohnIIIr

JohnIIIr Member

Great news, Went to O'rielys had them test the Alt. They said it was Toast/dead/Ain't doing shit. I just had the feeling they wasn't testing it correctly, so I drove the extra distance to Napa and as luck would have it there testers screen is Broke! So I was the Manager said we'll just swap it out no sweat.
    5mins later I walked out with a 83A instead of a 61A. Stuck it in with all nice shiney ground surfaces. Started it up and THE AMMETER MOVES...to the right and it puts out a nice 14.6V

Now I am so much happier, Why didn't I have it tested when I first picked it up. Thank you for the help

8. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Some good luck

Ever notice it is always the last place you look?

9. JohnIIIr

JohnIIIr Member

Right, always the first thing to come to mind as the fault. Simplest most logical, but you always think Naaa couldn't be that.
    Keep-It-Simple-Stupid