Time for replacement radiator...what's best?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Ratnest, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

I've got about 600 miles on my 66 C10 with 350 crate motor. It still runs too hot for me. With the stock, rodded-out radiator, a fan shroud, overflow tank and 180 degree thermostat, it hangs at 195 and on hills jumps to 205. If caught in traffic for 4 to 5 minutes it goes to 225. My guage is accurate. I've reconfigured my home made shroud, and placed the 6 blade flex fan inside the shroud and closer to the radiator. All to little avail. The motor is properly tuned.

I really don't want to install an electric fan yet and I'm thinking it might be time for a modern radiator. I've heard the "Desert Cooler" is a good choice.

Any advice on replacement radiators would be appreciated. I'm not reluctant to go to a "pull your part" junkyard and snag one from a later vehicle OR buy a new radiator that fits properly.

2. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

While waiting for some advice, I decided to try a little experiment with some cardboard and Gorilla Tape. As you can see, I extended my homemade shroud by almost 2" and gave the Ratnest a test run.

After 4 minutes of running at 1500 rpm, it went to 190 degrees. I could tell from the gauge that the thermostat opened at 180. I held that rpm for 4 more minutes and it stayed at 190-195. I then idled in park at 750 rpm for 5 more minutes and the temp never rose above 210:).

I think I just saved myself a few hundred bucks. I will now extend the shroud and keep my good 66 radiator. I hope this helps someone out there evaluate their heating issue cheaply.:D

Attached Files:

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Full Coverage Radiator Shroud

You da man Ratnest. I applaud you're make it happen R&D work.

Have you looked for a full shroud? One like this: http://ervsclassicautoparts.com

1963-1966 Chevrolet Truck V8 Radiator Fan Shroud No Air

1963-1966 Chevrolet Truck V-8 Radiator Fan Shroud. No Shroud Will Cause Overheating Problems In Traffic Replace Your Broken Or Lost Fan Shroud With A High Quality Reproduction Piece From Erv's Use For Small Block 2 Wheel Drive No Ac
    Manufacturer: Trim and hard parts for early Chevy pickups

SKU: 100340 Part No: 63-5050

Your Price:
    $129.95 EA

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  4. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Thanks John....good to hear from you. The link you provided would not open.

5. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Attached Files:

6. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Updated the link.. $129.95 will save ya $20 vs. $149.99 @ Ecklers.

Ecklers prices always seem higher than brand "x"? They sell 'vette parts too, those 'vette parts peddlers charge an extra $20 for your brush with greatness :rolleyes:

7. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Thanks......will check out the dimensions (depth) of the shroud.

8. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

I called Erv's re the shroud. Jose said it will only work with the original radiator that came with a V8. I don't know what motor my truck came with originally. Vin#C1446S207054. He said the dimensions are 7" deep X 26 3/4" wide X 18" high. Those measurements seem compatible with my radiator, but I'm afraid to risk the cost plus $50 shipping.

Maybe I'll just weld on an extension to my shroud. :confused:

9. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

You could always weld on the extension, see if it works and if not go witht he other shroud...

The advantage of the full shroud is you will get air pulled through all of the radiator, not just the cylindrical area where your current shroud is.. more square inches equal more cooling.

I have the full shroud, my truck runs 190 F. "ish"... it'll creep up a bit higher at times, as high as 210 F, basically like what you have described in your second post above.

I've never measured my radiator to see if it is from a I-6 or a V8. I'll measure it tomorrow and post what I find here as a reference for ya.

10. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

That's good advice. I'll weld an extension on the shroud and give it a try. A couple hours work and a few dollars for material fits me well. Looking forward to info on the V8 radiator size.

11. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Lakeroadster Follow-Up

Most excellent!

Follow Up:

I read on a previous thread the following in reference to radiator sizes:

Radiator Dimensions:

230 I-6

18" Wide x 1.26" Thick​

292 I-6 and 283 V-8
    25.22" Wide x 1.98" Thick​

I measured the radiator in my ole Orange Crate and it checks out as the larger V-8 model.​

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  12. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Thanks John....looks like I have the bigger radiator too. I'll post some pics of my enlarged homemade shroud soon..which I think will solve the heat problem. Would have replied sooner, but was in TX on a bowfishing trip. Big fun!

13. 66chevyc10

66chevyc10 Member

Put on a seven blade steel fan, high flow water pump, and 160 high flow thermo (going to try a 180). Really dropped the temp to 180-190 or so. Creeps up a little at stand still. Have full shroud and three core radiator. Would get up to 200-215 before with stock water pump, 160 thermo, and six blade plastic flex fan. Really creep fast at stand still. Think the seven blade steel fan made the biggest difference.

14. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Thanks for the advice. I enlarged my shroud, put all back together and the 66 radiator sprung a leak on the test run:mad:. I ordered a new radiator and it will be here soon. I'm going to take your advice and go to a steel fan and junk my 6 blade flex-fan. Also, I'm going to use the new radiator's trans cooler and shelf my Hayden cooler which I had attached to the front of the 66 radiator. I'll get it right sooner or later.:D

15. gmcdeadhead

gmcdeadhead Member

the cooler in the radiator always cools better with water than with an outside air source

16. 65Gregg

65Gregg Member

I have an OEM V8 shroud gathering dust, got anything to trade? I'm looking for a pair of 63 headlight rings and an in bed fleet side spare tire carrier.

17. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Nothing to trade partner. Looks like my homemade shroud will work fine. Thanks for the offer though.

18. gmcdeadhead

gmcdeadhead Member

are you looking to sell the fan shroud?

19. 65Gregg

65Gregg Member

I'd rather trade for something I need, sorry for the late reply.