1955 V8 temperature gauge

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Satch, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Satch

Satch Member

Hi There,

I seem to be having a real problem with this. I have a 2nd series 1955 chev. The original gauge does not work. I bought a NOS one from ebay a few years back but discovered yesterday that the tube is not long enough. I suspect it was actually a 6 cylinder gauge.
    Does anyone know where I could find an original type mechanical temp gauge for the truck? Can the old one be fixed?

Thanks for the help.

Satch

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bourden Tube Temp. Gauges

Some Speedo Repair places (No. Hollywood Speedo on Lankershiem in No. Hollywood , Ca.) can do this but not very many these days .

Why not just replace it with the factory '56 electric temp. gauge ? .

3. JohnIIIr

JohnIIIr Member

I have the electric style temp gage, got two of them. But Neither will read anything, I cant find any diagram for them everything shows a capillary tube style. I assumed it'd logically work similar to the Fuel Gage (which didn't work at first but who would've guess it was just wired backwards).
    My best guess the Temp switch is the wrong type, any suggestions??

4. coilover

coilover Member

Electric gauges should be marked IGN and SENDER on the terminals. Put 12v jumper to IGN and ground the SENDER---gauge should peg out full hot (or maybe cold; ask Nate). If it does gauge is good and sender or wire is the problem. We grind a flat spot on the left rear water runner on the V8 intake, drill for 1/2" pipe tap, tap, and screw in a temp sender bulb fitting. This lets the original 6 cyl. mechanical tube/bulb work fine.